Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Co-sleeping and the Family Bed (http://www.mothering.com/forum/37-co-sleeping-family-bed/)
-   -   Is this sleep regression? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/37-co-sleeping-family-bed/1382693-sleep-regression.html)

TheCrunchyBrit 05-02-2013 05:50 AM

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help.  DS has just turned 9 months old and for the past 2 weeks he's started to wake up crying loudly about every 40 minutes during the night.  He's never slept through but always had a sort of pattern from about 6 weeks old of going to bed anywhere between 7-8pm, waking for a feed at about 11:30 and then again at about 4am, followed by getting up between 6-7am.  Whenever he's been teething or having a growth spurt then he's woken between every 1-2hrs during the night but this has always been for a week at the most.

He's lactose intolerant and unknowingly I've been feeding him homeopathic teething granules with lactose in!!!  Argh!  So I've now ordered some lactose free ones and put myself on a lactose free diet just to be sure.  When he's been waking up these last two weeks he's been crying out then arching his back and farting like a moped!  I'm guessing that's the lactose?  Now we've been lactose free for a few days we are back to him waking every 1-2hr during the night but he doesn't always want the breast and often gives a really loud, annoyed cry which only settles when I pick him up and rock him.  I'm not sure what it could be.  I could cope with the hourly wakings when he was younger because there was never a loud cry and he always just took the breast and we'd both fall straight back to sleep.  Now he's doing this crying out and I'm wondering if its frustration or rage - he's started to get mad in the day, especially when tired, if we don't understand his requests (for say a particular toy) straight away.  Is this a sleep regression?  Does anyone have any ideas for herbs/homeopathy that could help or any other advice?

llwr 05-02-2013 07:41 AM

9 mos is a typical age for a regression.  Getting ready for talking, walking, and the 2-1 nap switch put both my kids way off at this age. 

TheCrunchyBrit 05-02-2013 02:30 PM

Thanks llwr.  When did they get back on track?  Or even did they ever get back on track???  I'm returning to work next week so freaking out slightly now at the lack of sleep.

I also should have mentioned in my first post that DS has also started sleep walking these past 2 weeks.  Both me and DH used to sleep walk as children occasionally so it's not totally out of the blue but a lot earlier than expected!  The other night he was sound asleep next to me as usual then he just let out this really hearty laugh, sat up and crawled into the headboard.  Good job the headboard is so soft because he kept crawling until he'd hit it 3 times before it woke him up.  I know exactly what he was doing - the laugh he did was a really specific laugh that he only does for his daddy when DH chases him.  DS was obviously dreaming daddy was chasing him, hence headbutting the headboard to get away.   Its clear from all the evidence that he's not a deep sleeper but I was hoping for at least 4 uninterrupted hours at this age.  Is that unrealistic of me?

deailedlace 05-02-2013 02:53 PM

Momg I have spent nights researching sleep regression! My four month year is old is doing th exact same thing right now. And like you, I coukd handle the night wakings and feedings but now th cries are throwing me off. Dd doan have a lactos allergy that I k ow of but I hav been trying to eliminate it as much as possibl in my diet. I'd love to hear from anyone that has advice!

llwr 05-03-2013 04:50 AM

Mine were barely "on track" to start with, but their sleep really leveled off sometime around a year, after they had completed the 2-1 nap switch (some babies keep the 2nd nap much longer) and were talking and walking.  I have no idea what to say about the sleep walking.  If they're trying to master a skill practicing a lot in the day can help, but that sounds a little different.

deailedlace, 4 months is the worst regression there is!  IMO, when you pass this, the worst is over.

deailedlace 05-03-2013 06:36 AM

What is the 2:1 nap...

Good to know that this is the worst part lol!

TheCrunchyBrit 05-03-2013 08:02 AM

I think llwr is referring to when a baby decides they no longer need 2 naps a day and drop down to just 1.  This doesn't really apply to me yet though as DS is such a light sleeper he's still on 3 shorter naps a day.  1 in the morning, 1 at lunchtime and 1 in the afternoon.  His sleep patterns are poor but my whole family's are.  Pretty much everyone on my mum's side had terrible childhood insomnia, me included and then there's the sleep walking (see above!). 

May be I'm just expecting too much too soon from my little man.  The thing is though I'm surrounded by mothers who formula feed at work and all harping on about how their babies slept through the night from 9 weeks, blah blah blah...  Yeah, I'd sleep like a log too if I'd eaten a huge plate of carbs that I couldn't digest.  I'm the only one breastfeeding out of my circle of friendly colleagues and 3 of us had babies within 6 weeks of each other last year so I suppose comparisons are only natural.   I'm also the only one co-sleeping, cloth-bumming, not vaxxing - the list goes on - so getting a lot of raised eyebrows and snide remarks.

EDIT: Also, MIL is desperate to have him overnight so she's been pushing DH to give DS formula and let him CIO in a cot.  Pressure from every side really but I feel quite strongly that DS is a human being, not a toy and I won't leave him to CIO or feed him something sub-standard just so other people can do as they please with him.

deailedlace 06-03-2013 09:51 PM

I SURVIVED THE FOUR MONTH SLEEP REGRESSION!!! Can I put this on my resume lol

It lasted about four weeks for my dd. Started just shy of four months and she tuns five months tomorrow. We co sleep which helped and some things I found helped I wanted to share before I forget...I may have ptsd and will permanently block this past month feom my memory forever lol

Sleep when your baby sleeps..even if its for twenty mins.
Dont give up on parenting baby to sleep. If my dd missed a nap i would pay for it at bedtime. Try new ways to get baby to sleep and nap. I was stuck in a routine that stopped working and it seemed every night it was something else that worked. Try new things, and in my opinion sleep training is not doable in this phase. Also, she wanted to sleep on me at certain points during the night so why not. It was literally like she was a newborn again.
Don't worry about nursing so often..it seemed par for the course. She just needed comfort and perhaps a bit of growth spurt in there too caused her to nurse frequently at night. She was so distracted with new skills and abilities during the day she nursed more often and calmly at nighttime so I just went with the flow. Although a nice quiet dim roomhelped during the day for feedings and snuggles.
Stay close to bebe at night. So much is going on in their little heads. My dd was literally practicing out new tricks all night - grabbing her toes (which was super cute even though I was sleep deprived) babbling etc - that she needed a lot of extra closeness and cuddles. Very "clingy" duing the day but just think that it won't always be like this so enjoy the snuggles.
Get outside together. Even though youre tired try to enjoy each other and get fresh air.
Know it will pass..I cursed every site that advised this but then oneday it finally passed!

Just try to keep it together. Its an exciting time for your lo. When they are over this one I swear its like you have a whole new baby. My lo voice literally blossomed ovrnight and she is doing so many new things. Like a catepilla from its cocoon! You will see sleep again, hang in there! It breaks my heart to read blogs, articles etc that advise to let bebe cio at this stage. They need your comfort and closeness more than ever now. My lo seemed so overwhelmed with what going on I side her that she just needed her momma super close. I would sleep facing her so close that I could feel her breathe on my face with my hand on her side. Since she got through this she seemes so much more independent and I'm feeling like oh boy it was special to be so needed and now my little girl seems so big and brave!