Anyone else with frequently underslept cosleeping nursing toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-04-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I'm just feeling very alone these days.  DS just turned two and has always slept in our bed.  He nursed all night long until about 21 months, when we slowly nightweaned.  Now he generally makes it from when he goes to bed around 8 or 9 pm , until about 4 or 5 am.  At this point he will usually nurse back to sleep for a little bit, or on the rare occasion that he sleeps until after 5 he usually completely wakes up.  Sometimes he will nurse a couple of times and sleep until 6:45 or so, and seems happy and rested for the morning. But very frequently he only makes it until 6, if that, and he is cranky and tired in the morning and sometimes naps as early as 9 am!  I had to cancel two play dates with week scheduled for 9:00 because my two year old was too tired!

We tried cutting out the 4 or 5 am nursing a few weeks ago, but even after sticking to our guns for two weeks he still wasn't going back to sleep without nursing at that hour, and we were all suffering from lack of sleep and dealing with a cranky overtired toddler. Maybe try again soon?

Other background: he nurses down for nap and then usually sleeps for about 2 hours, but I have to lie down and nurse pretty much continually for the second half of nap most days.  I've definitely wondered if this nap nursing is sabotaging our night time sleep, but it's such a hard habit to break!

Just looking for reassurance that this happens to other people!  I feel like I've done something wrong and my poor boy can't get the sleep he needs.  If this was your situation, did your child eventually just outgrow the need to nurse at that early morning hour, or did you wean them from that nursing session?

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 AM

My DD just turned 2 at the end of march and she weaned (sort of) due to my pregnancy shortly after. She generally is sleeping from 8:30 or 9:30 to 7 or maaaybe 8 do it doesn't sound like she's much different from your DS. Up until recently nursing was definitely the way to stretch her sleep but now generally cuddles do it. One thing about her though is that she sleeps significantly better in her own space so she's in her own room on a very low double bed. I lay with her, she pretends to nurse to fall asleep (don't get me started on that but it works lol) and once she's good and gone I get up and go to my own bed. When she wakes up, I go to her and snuggle her back down (after a drink of water and a new diaper). I often pass out so we end up cosleeping and she definitely wakes more when I'm near. About naps, I'd just let him follow his rhythm and if after an early nap he's tired, you can try quiet time to get him some more rest. On days when DD misses her nap, going for a ride in the stroller/car where she's confined to being still and quiet for 45 mins to an hour helps her recharge. Sometimes a snuggle on the couch works too but generally she's too busy to be still if she's not in a harness lol. If you're comfortable with the idea, trying him in his own space for sleep may help him transition to longer naps without needing your help. My DD used to nap an hour like clockwork, but now she's a 2-3 hour nap girl and only needs help in the middle if she's sick or teething. Hth, good luck! And you didn't do anything wrong, I'd be doing the same if she still nursed.
#3 of 4 Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just a thought - have you tried waking him to nurse at 3 a.m. or so instead of waiting for him to wake?
#4 of 4 Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting idea.  I haven't tried.  I have notice sometimes the mornings go smoother when I break down and nurse at 2 am.  I just don't know if I can bring myself to make him and myself up every night though! ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page