Family Bed Quandry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have been happily sleeping our family of four on two side-by-side queen mattresses on the floor until I recently discovered mold growing between the mattresses and the floor.  This is not due to human body moisture, as we have used mattress protectors on the tops.  Clearly moisture is getting trapped from below.  

FORTUNATELY we are able to get a full refund from IKEA, as we were adamant that it was a quality issue, and not misuse.  These mattresses are supposedly designed to work fine directly on the floor.  

UNFORTUNATELY, we are hesitant to simply replace the mattresses with identical products from IKEA, lest this same thing happen again.  We're now exploring options for another brand of memory foam type mattresses with something under to provide ventilation.  Since both kids are wiggly sleepers, we're not too keen on traditional bed frames, and we definitely want something as low profile as possible.

Have any of you found your perfect sleeping solution as close to the floor as possible?  Do you use slatted bed bases alone under the mattress, or something similar?  What can you suggest for our situation?  We need to spend as little money as possible.  So far, all I can come up with is that slatted bed base (such as they sell for IKEA beds) directly under mattress on the floor.  Platform beds are cool, but most of them have such sharp corners poking out beyond the mattress, and it's hard to find decent solid wood options.  We're not interested in cheapo particle board covered in laminate, or anything like that.  And we love having the two queens side by side, as we've been doing.  We also have no time/resources for DIY stuff, and need to be able to clean sometimes, so shipping pallets (spider houses) aren't desirable.

Please share your favorite affordable springless mattress products, and whatever you might use to keep some space between it and the floor.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you might be able to offer.  Happy co-sleeping!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

We too have two queen beds on the floor for co-sleeping!!!

Umm, I was always told that there needs to be some sort of ventilation between the mattress and floor no matter what type of mattress it is because moisture will get trapped. We just put a few of wooden slats( in lieu of a wooden platform) on the floor and we have not had any problems summer or winter.

Sorry this has happend to you and that you figure it out!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I was thinking we could just get some slats at the hardware store, too. Glad to know it works for you. smile.gif
Old 05-06-2013, 08:51 PM

We opted for a very low bed frame from Ikea for DD and I cosleep on her double a lot of the time. We got it exactly for the ventilation reason and it's wonderful. It isn't solid wood but then again, so much of our furniture is Ikea particleboard that I don't mind. At the very least, the slat bases they sell may be convenient for you to place under the mattress but I'm not sure if they would provide adequate air circulation. I hope you find a solution that works for you smile.gif.

User Tag List