How On Earth Do I get A 4 Year Old Into Her Own Room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are so stuck on this and really don't know what to do. I am pregnant with our second who is due at the beginning of September, and my 4 year old is still in the cot bed sidecarred with our bed. We've been telling her that she needs to start sleeping in her own room for months now, but nothing we do will keep her in there. We've tried the idea of treating her for each night she does it, offered to stay in there until she falls asleep, and we have even told her she can sit in her bed and look at books, or sleep anywhere in her bedroom. We have completely run out of ideas. The problem is she doesn't want to sleep without us next to her, and hates the idea of being alone in her bedroom.

We really are struggling now, and the only idea we have left is to remove the cot bed and give her no choice. But there is still the issue that she would never stay in her room, never mind sleep in it. Any help would be wonderful, we are so stuck!

#2 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

I have no idea as we are still co-sleeping and will for a long time but there has to be someone out there with some ideas....bumping.

#3 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 PM

What about first having her camp out on the floor for awhile, then eventually camp out int hallway outside your room?

&
#4 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM

My son chose to move to his own room when his baby sister arrived.  He realized he didn't want to be woken up by her a few times a night.  He was five years old.

DH went with him.  stillheart.gif  He also wanted more sleep.  

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#5 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post

My son chose to move to his own room when his baby sister arrived.  He realized he didn't want to be woken up by her a few times a night.  He was five years old.

DH went with him.  stillheart.gif  He also wanted more sleep.  

That sounds like a good possibility, thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I think we're just going to stop trying to rush her for now and see what happens nearer the time. I think she just needs more time to get used to the idea as she's just not ready yet.

Tags
Bedtime , Bedtime Routines

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page