11 Month old can only nap in Ergo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

My son is 11.5 months old and takes ALL of his naps in the ergo. He sleeps through the night (we co sleep) but he has a lot of problems going down for naps by himself. I am lucky enough to work from home but it’s an incredibly stressful and busy job so I need somewhat predictable nap times/nap durations because it’s the only time I can make real progress on my work or take important client calls. Starting from about 3 or 4 months of age, I would simple pop my little guy in the ergo and he would fall asleep for his naps without a problem. Well now he’s almost a year old and still won’t nap unless he’s in the ergo. I have tried to lay down with him in the bed and he (for some odd reason, even though he will at night time) won’t fall asleep. In the off chance he does fall asleep by himself; he will be wide awake 20 minutes later and won’t go back to sleep.

Have I created a big problem?  He’s pretty big right now and I don’t want to be carrying a two year old on me for every nap time. I want to be gentle and sensitive to his needs and desires to be close to me but at the same time, I want to create a healthy sleep environment where he can feel comfortable  napping independently ( for more than 20 minutes) as he begins his toddler years.  I have read a few sleep books (Dr. Sears included) but can’t seem to find any answers/advice for our nap situation.

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Oh wow, I sympathize! My 21 lb 5 mo only naps in the Ergo, pretty much because I can't leave my DS1 alone long enough to help DS2 get a proper nap. I'll be reading the advice you get!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#3 of 3 Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 AM

I'm afraid I'm joining both of you in the search for an answer...was actually looking on this site today because my 4 month old daughter is exactly the same - she'll nap for hours in the ergo but, if she falls asleep at all, it's 20 minutes max anywhere else. I'm worried this isn't going to change as she gets heavier! It's great that she lives the sling so much but not very convenient... Really hoping someone has found a solution to this to help us all out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page