4 1/2 year old staying in bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-23-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our son is 4 1/2 and co slept until he was 2 when we moved him to his own bed. He's consistently woken us up nearly every night since then. Co-sleeping isn't working for our family anymore, and I usually get the brunt of the night time wakings. I don't mind beig the one that gets up with him but I really want to get him to stay in bed all night. I've tried everything. Bribes mostly, talking about it, and making his room inviting and comfortable. Snacks, drinks, potty before bed and a calming nighttime routine. He consistently wakes between 2-4 every morning giving us a new excuse. I have tried to address all his excuses and I think it's time to help him just get used to falling back asleep when he wakes. Last night I did the whole taking him back to his room over and over until he stays and after 40 minutes he finally went back to bed and went to sleep. I feel like if this works, he will be a better sleeper and DH and I will have a better relationship with him. As it stands, we both get woken and I get back to sleep okay but DH has a hard time going back to sleep once woken. He works on cars and is on his feet all day, and missing sleep all week makes him tired and grumpy by the weekend so I've told DH that ill do the sleep boot camp, since I can just nap the next day. Day one was tough but I just told myself that I'm not going to get enough sleep for awhile and accepted that. It made it a lot easier to take him back in there without getting upset and frustrated. Thoughts on how long this will take? I also just started him on Natural Calm magnesium and use lavender on his feet every night. I think he's just in the habit of waking up and if We can break that habit he will sleep sibling better!! Tips?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

No one??

#3 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 PM

I'd move his bed into my room if I were you (or just put his mattress on the floor next to you) so he can have the security of Mom and Dad. Then he'll probably start putting himself back to sleep.
#4 of 5 Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

That doesn't work. It took one night. I'm giving him a magnesium supplement that helps with leg cramps and sleep and I took him back into his room over and over again for about 40 minutes straight and he hasn't gotten out of bed since! smile.gif

#5 of 5 Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

He's since gotten out of bed twice, and each time I took him straight to the bathroom, then made sure he had water by his bedside and calmly took him back to his room. He protested and cried but accepted it. He's sleeping more soundly and waking refreshed now and so is hubby and I so yay!

Tags
Children , Bedtime , Bedtime Routines , Sleep

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page