2 yr old night wakings.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD2 is 2 yrs 9 months and has been waking at night, 3-7 times a week for HOURS...She sleeps in a toddler bed in her room and then comes to our bed when she wakes up,  there is almost never crying, she just decided to wake up for the day at 3am today.. it took over 3 hours of quietly hanging out in our bed while everyone else slept (well, except me, i was mostly awake ugh) for her to go back to sleep, she has been night weaned for about a year, she as been doing this since a few months before night weaning ..  - she does this pretty often, several times a week though the timing last night was a bit extreme. She often wakes for the day at 4-5am (which i believe is really just a night waking, but she doesn't get back to sleep) ..putting her to bed earlier seem to help, but i can only put her in bed so early ( getting her to sleep by 6:30 seems to help when i can pull it off) she doesn't nap and there is really no way i can make that happen (she hasn't napped since last summer and I have 3 other kids including a 4 mo old) .. i just don't know what to do with her.. it seems like nothing is bothering her, she just wakes up and can't go back to sleep..  I've tried calms forte, she cuddles with us, she says nothing is wrong .. she sees a chiropractor .. what else can i try?? i was fine to deal with this for a while.. but over a year?!

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 05:57 PM

If she is asleep by 6:30, then the 5 am (possibly even the 4am) wakeup seems legit to me. My 26 month old is asleep by 8 or 9, waking between 6:30 and 8 so getting about the same amount of sleep. She's also hit and miss with napping but a night of 8-6:30 is pretty average for a no nap day. I'm not convinced she needs more sleep but maybe better timing so that it meshes with the rest of the family. Would you be happier with a later bedtime with the same amount of sleep if she slept until later? Moving bedtime back in small increments could work. I'm sorry I don't have more ideas, it sounds very frustrating and tiring!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried bedtimes if 7,7:30 and 8 over the past 6 months and the 6:30 seems to get the most sleep (closer to 12 hours, like my other kids)- when I get her to bed earlier she sleeps later - when she goes down later those are the really bad nights when she wakes from 1-3 or something.. I usually call it a reverse nap- cause it is normal for her to be up 2 hours from 12-2 or 1-3- I was assuming over tiredness was at play - I would be completely happy with her waking at 6 but 3am ( like last night) is a no go- my other 2 older kids go to sleep at 7:30 and get up 7-8ish -12ish hours - when she gets up at 5 she is exhausted by 4:30pm :/

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 PM

It was a stab in the dark smile.gif. Hope you get more input soon!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

It was a stab in the dark smile.gif. Hope you get more input soon!

Thanks for trying smile.gif I'm just soooo tired of this!! I really thought this "phase" would be over by now .. :/

Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM

If she naps mid afternoon that may be too early of a bedtime. She may be waking that early because she has enough rest.

My daughter is almost 3 and has gone through a recent period of nightwaking due to her 2 year molars coming in. Even though I would give her children's advil right before bed, it would wear off at 5 am and she'd be up and screaming! Is she getting her molars?

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

This sounds very similar to my DD (3 and a quarter), who also doesn't nap, and is a set-in-stone early bird.  She is in bed at 6:45 every night and wakes for the day at 6:30, but wakes up multiple times in between, sometimes for several hours at a time.  Like yours, the earlier she goes to bed, the better the night goes.  I will say (knock on wood), that the late 2's were a tough time for us, and she did have more of those long wake-ups during that period.  I am pretty sure that it belies something developmental for my DD.  Since she turned 3, she's been much better.  One other thing that's big for us - my DD wakes up when the room starts to lighten in the morning, which is quite early these days.  I've had to cover the windows so well that literally not a speck of light can get through in order for her to stay asleep until 6:30.  Even so, on very sunny days the light from the cracks around the door will wake her. 

Good luck to you.  I know sleep issues like this can be sooooo trying.

User Tag List