Side-Car Crib Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, I'm pregnant with my first and we plan to bed-share. Or I think it's still called bed-sharing when you have the crib attached to your bed...anyway, we just got the crib put together, and we bought bed-risers to put under the crib, so now the crib and the bed are the same height. I was so worried about how we would pull that off, I didn't think it would be perfect and easy, but it was!

My concern is this: if the crib is attached to my side of the bed, I will be getting in and out of bed at the foot of the bed. How is this going to work right after I have a baby?

I will not be putting the crib there until we are closer to my due date, right now the crib is across the room until we are ready to sidecar it. Since I will still be 9months pregnant when we sidecar it (don't think I should wait til the baby is here), my husband will be sleeping on that side of the bed since it will be easier for him to get in and out.

Any input? Have you done this?

And I really don't want to buy another contraption to use while they are smaller, the crib hardly fits in our room right now and I am anxious to shove it against the bed so we have more room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 11:01 AM

We had the crib next to bed and ended up sleep-sharing because delivery was rough (just sitting up was a battle). I don't know what it's like to have a smooth delivery, but my friends say you feel worlds different than I did - and getting in and out of the foot of the bed wouldn't have been a problem! I think just be flexible, even if for a couple weeks you have to tweak your plan it's not a big deal at all!

Old 06-29-2013, 04:33 PM

If you have a smooth delivery, it will be a bit of a challenge to get off at the foot of the bed, but manageable. Think of it as the beginning of getting your core back. If your delivery is on the difficult side, you may need adaptations temporarily: co-sleeper on dh's side and he hands babe to you, co-sleeping, etc.

You will have to adjust as the situation presents itself.

Sending you smooth labor vibes!

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 PM

I had one challenging birth and one smooth birth, both with extreme pelvic separation during and after the pregnancy and I was able to get out of the bed at the end fine. It wasn't the most awesome thing ever, but it is doable.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input. Maybe I will think my concerns were silly when I see it all set up.

If nothing else I can put our pack n play next to the bed for a while. I don't know if I said before, but we only have a full size bed and I don't feel comfortable sharing that small space with the baby.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM

FWIW, my baby was curled up like a peanut after the birth, and she couldn't stand to lay flat on her back at all.  For the first 4-5 weeks, what little sleeping I did was on the sofa, with her nestled in a swing pulled right up beside my face.  By the time she had straightened out enough to lay flat and we both moved to the bedroom (with an arm's reach cosleeper), I had healed enough to scoot down to the foot of the bed to get out.  (ETA: I had a pelvic separation during birth, and it was 4 months before I could lay on my side or go for a walk - getting out of bed wasn't the most comfortable thing, but it was doable).

Now, at 18 months, we still have a sidecar crib, and I've gotten pretty skilled at knee-walking up the bed and twisting a sleeping 24-pound bundle down into it without pulling a muscle.  :)  Good luck, and congrats!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 PM

I've been scooting to the foot of the bed since about 34 weeks, and Baby is now 2 weeks old. It sure was annoying while pregnant to get up so often at night to pee, and since giving birth, it hasn't been a problem at all. I had a vaginal delivery with episiotomy and while I scooted slower the first few days I was fine. Now that Baby is here, DH gets up at night when she wakes up, changes her diaper, and hands her to me, so I'm scooting down much less frequently.

Tags
Sleep Sharing Configurations , Co Sleeping And The Family Bed
User Tag List