baby hates swaddle- but can't sleep without it! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

UGH curse this day that I am returning to these sleep forums for my second babe. irked.gif (I'm still traumatized by sleep issues we had with DS...who btw is still an horrible sleeper...ANYWAY...)

So DD is 9 weeks old and has always hated the swaddle. With a fervent passion. We were able to do without it for the first 3 or 4 weeks when she would scream herself blue if we swaddled her. But after that we had to swaddle her because she always has her hands mucking about around her face- smacking herself, rubbing her face, pulling at her ears or nose or pacifier (when I can get her to accept one). Funny because she was like this in the womb- always had her hands by her face in all her ultrasounds and I could always feel her hands up by her head. 

For the past month or so she has done ok with the swaddle- fighting it for a few minutes then sleeping well with it, much better than out of it. Now though, she fights it so much it's really interfering with her fallings asleep. She has fought the swaddle for more than an hour- going between just fussing and all out wailing. I try nursing her in it, rocking her in it and sometimes that works to calm her down and let her fall asleep, but lately it's not working very well. So now we do this exhausting dance (in my sleepless delirium) where I am swaddling her to see if she'll accept it and unswaddling her when she absolutely freaks out, trying everything to get her to sleep. I've only gotten her to sleep (and stay asleep) unswaddled a couple of times after nursing her down and having her sleep in my arms for an hour or more. I don't nurse side lying in bed because of back problems and because I just can't have a baby attached to my nipple all night every night for 2 years like I did with DS. Can't. greensad.gif

What do I do here? I feel terrible letting her fuss and wail and get so angry for so long in the swaddle. But she will really just swat her face and push her fists in her mouth and flail around for what seems like HOURS on end if she isn't swaddled tight. She is totally obsessed with her hands even moreso lately. I can't think of a solution but I'm not thinking too clearly in my current sleepless brain fog.

I'm wanting so much to have a different night time experience with this baby so I'm feeling especially emotional and frantic over these troubles. Oh yeah, and completely exhausted as usual.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#2 of 2 Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry, I don't have any great wisdom to offer (18 month old still attached all night :P ), but here's a BUMP in the hopes someone else has tips!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page