Help with 16 mo old naps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-10-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 16 month old girl can't nap in her room! I'm going nuts without having a break in my day, she wants me next to her the entire nap greensad.gif

She sleeps ok in her bed (just recently switched from crib to toddler bed on floor due to climbing out) for the first few hours at night then when she wakes I bring her in with us and generally she sleeps solid until 6 or 7 when she nurses then dozes another hour. At night she nurses but gets in bed and falls asleep on her own with me sitting next to her and giving an occasional backrub. But naps are a totally different story, even though she falls asleep quickly she has to nurse all the way to sleep and the longest she will stay asleep in her bed is 30 minutes so I usually just let her nap in our bed and don't get up until at least 30-45 mins into the nap, obviously I don't leave the room for safety reasons. If I'm near her she can easily nap 2-3 hours sometimes nursing a bit mid nap so I know she needs the sleep. She has a consistent, regular bedtime routine (dinner, bath, read books, nurse in rocker, lie down and quiet back rub til asleep) and sleep schedule (night sleep approx 8-8, nap 1-3). The nap routine is basically lie down, nurse, sleep. She has white noise for naps and nighttime.

Any ideas for how to help her nap independently? I think I read that nap and night sleep involve different parts of the brain, seems like a different approach is needed. I feel responsible for the problem in part bc we live in a small loft apartment and my DH works overnights often so he uses the spare bed in the baby's room to sleep during the day when needed, which means I haven't consistently put her down to nap in her bed so as not to disturb him... Possibly creating the confusion and preference for mama's bed for naps! Seems like maybe if she could figure out how to fall asleep for naps on her own as she does for nighttime that might help? I'm not ok with any crying-related methods, but would love to hear how other mamas with nursing toddlers handle naps.
#2 of 2 Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  Sorry I can't be of much help...having similar issues with my 14 month old DS.  He stopped nursing to sleep on his on so now I rock him to sleep and transfer him to his cot once he's asleep.  Each day I'm trying to put him down when he's less and less asleep (if that makes sense) so he gets used to being in his cot but most days I'm lucky to get an hour out of him (he clearly needs more).

At night he falls asleep in his cot holding my hand, but forget about it for naps!  Hope you find something that helps :)

Lucky mom to two 

DD 2010 energy.gif

DS 2012   slingboy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page