Crib guilt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hey Mamas...

Soon after I told my mom I was pregnant with my first, she told me that she'd always wanted to buy the crib for her grandchildren. Never having thought much about having a baby myself, or where it might sleep, I went along with it and dutifully picked out a crib from Sears. I set it up, and made up the little mattress with the bedding she sent along...and then the baby was born and spent the first few nights in bed with us, and then the next few nights, and now he's almost 2 with baby #2 on the way, and the crib is full of my yarn, and baby clothes that don't fit anymore or don't fit yet, and a basket full of battery powered toys we haven't gotten around to donating to the thrift store.

I feel so guilty about this crib that is collecting dust and taking up space! Anyone else experienced this kind of thing? I think I'm finally ready to pass it on to some other family that will use it, and do something useful with the space! Just don't tell my mom....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hahaha sounds like our crib. You may want to wait as your next DC might be different and end up napping in the crib. You never know. It's also a great place to put them to play for a bit when you need to get something done. :-)

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I saw the title and thought you were using it and having guilt about it. If it's not it use, sell or give it away, for sure. Unless you like it as a yarn stash storage...lots of space to collect yarn! Use what works for your lifestyle and get rid of what doesn't.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Dalia, I never thought about that. Maybe I should hang on a little bit longer!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMama83 View Post

Dalia, I never thought about that. Maybe I should hang on a little bit longer!

This way you can say you "used" it. ;-)

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL, this thread is amusingly timely for me. My DH wants to get a crib for this new baby, but it was low priority on my list because I know I won't use it much in the first year, and not at all for the first few months. But last night I thought, "Oh! I should get the crib first, because then I'll have a convenient place to stash baby clothes and other things as I collect them for this baby!" :P

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Yeah, my parents may have spent a large sum of money on a fancy Arm's Reach that was used 3 times before it became a laundry basket. Sheepish.gif  It did actually turn into a little bench thing which we used for a bit when he was older before sending it to the garage where it burned up in a fire 4 years ago.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Boy, I've bought so much baby gear that ended up not being used...We had an Arm's Reach, that was more of a toy box than a bassinet.  Never owned a crib...however, I think I would get one now for #3 if I find one cheap.  Often #1 and #2 end up in our bed for part of the night and #2 especially wants to sleep on my arm snuggled up to me....I think I wouldn't mind buying something for #3's safety in our bed, at least while the other ones are visiting in bed.  

Old 07-24-2013, 09:33 PM

I needed a crib because we couldn't put the baby in our tiny full size bed, so we sidecarred the crib. Do you think you would ever want to do something like that? Since you already have a child in your bed, it would give you more room. Our crib also converts into a full size bed, so I figure we will get use of no matter what we do.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

suspect most family have bought or been given equipment which in the end they didn't use. I certainly have had my share.

Since your second is on the way I would hang onto it a bit longer. Like the previous poster things which I never used the first time round were really helpful with my second. It was also helpful to have a place where I could put him down safely out of reach of big sis. Leaving him on a blanket on the floor while I popped to the loo, which worked the first time round, didn't work with a toddler around too.

I hardly used the pack and play with the oldest but once the second arrived I used it quite a lot. I'd stick the oldest in there with her toys so the little one could crawl around without getting into all the toys with small bits!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:05 PM

I used to feel guilty when my daughter would climb into the cribs at every store we visited. Maybe she wanted a crib? But they were just like fun little playhouses to her. At night she wanted to sleep with her family. :)

Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I totally relate .... My 3yr old daughter used to do the same thing wanting to climb in all the beautiful cots in the baby shops. We have one set up next to the bed but is also used as clothes storage. I never had the heart to put her in there as it felt like a cage to me. I think it's nice to be close enough to b able to pat or soothe her back to sleep when stirring or having a bad dream.

Tags
Sleep , Family Bed , Co Sleeping And The Family Bed
User Tag List