Advice on 8 month old who has stopped sleeping! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-25-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi there!!

Okay, so my little bunny muffin has never slept through the night. Well, not since she turned 4 months old and we started co sleeping (did things kind of backward) and that's all fine and good.  She is 8 months and "normal" is waking often. 4-5 times  a night.  Usually she just rolls over, nurses and goes back to sleep but occasionally she's difficult to resettle, but as in a 20-minute ordeal.  This is a situation I can deal with.

Well the past couple of weeks she's been waking and not able to go back down for hours!  Usually, I just take her out of the bedroom and let her play until she's tired again but this has been getting exhausting. Last night, I decided to keep her in the dark room and keep trying to rock her back to sleep. She'd drift ff for a second or 5 minute then be awake again, crying.  This went on for 3.5 hours! Then she finally fell asleep for 3 hours straight. This is a situation I'm having a very difficult time coping with!

Any advice as to why this may be happening? She still takes 3 naps, and I tried to stretch her and cut one and I think I may have made things worse! Also, any advice as to how to handle it when it does happen? 

Last but not lease, if this happened with your little one please assure me that it did end...or that it lasted years so I know just how freaked out to be.  Thanks!!!

#2 of 3 Old 07-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It happened with my first DD. Second is 8mo and it hasn't happened so far but I'm not celebrating yet!

It didn't last long, maybe a month or two? I think it was just because she had so much going on developmentally. I used to take her into her room (we co-slept but she had a room with her toys, clothes etc) and lie on the floor and doze while she played. I kept the lights very dim md took her back to bed as soon as she seemed tired again. I also didn't have any other children or a job so I could sleep with her during the day which helped.
nj001 likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sounds just like my babe! She has a room upstairs with a crib (where she naps) and a futon on the floor which we're transitioning her to once the room is totally baby-proofed.  I've been laying with her on the futon and keeping the lights low while she pummels through her baskets of books and toys until she's ready to sleep again.

Last night was much better! It's been an every-other-night thing so far, which is helping me stay sane.

Thanks for the input!

Tags
Baby , Sleep

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page