Mothering Forum banner

Nursing to sleep dilemma - Need Advice Please

660 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  xekomaya 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am so exhausted as I write this, I'm just hoping I am writing something coherent and somewhat making sense. Forgive me for rambling. Here goes:

So my DS2 is 21mos and has nursed to sleep since birth. It has worked out really well - I have always enjoyed our special time together in the evening and we lie down together in my bed, he nurses to sleep, then I move him into his own toddler bed in the room he shares with DS1 (almost 4). He *usually* sleeps through until morning, but on the occasional night he awakens, I've always been able to do a quick nurse to get him back to sleep.

Until now... this is my 3rd night of absolute terror with him. It is now 10:30pm and he's still up! He is usually in bed by 8ish. Sigh.

The problem seems to be that my milk production seems to have dropped big time and this is really making DS2 have a hard time falling asleep. The less milk produciton makes sense - DS2 barely nurses anymore during the day, and I've started my period a few months ago. I think I still make a little bit, but my breasts seem always soft and I am not hearing DS2 gulping anymore when he nurses. He's clearly looking for some actual milk, as these days he's switching breasts every 5 seconds, and just cannot fall asleep from nursing. What's worse, once he does fall asleep from sheer exhaustion, it is a fitful sleep and he's awake constantly, looking to nurse. Of course I let him, but he's upset at the lack of milk.

I took him to the doctor's today and he got a clean bill of health. I guess I am accepting that it is time to transition him off the breast at night for actual drinking, but am lookin for some advice or some BTDT from some experienced mamas.

*Footnote: I wrote this last night. It is morning now. I ended up carrying him around the house, patting his bum and kind of sympathizing with him, "I know, you're sad. I'm sorry. It'll be okay," etc. He eventually fell asleep on me and I put him in his bed. He woke up once at 2am and I was able to nurse him back down and he is still sleeping now.

Thank you in advance for any advice or BTDT from anyone!

- NEastMomma

See less See more
#2 ·
BTDT :) You are not alone. There always seems to come a time when nursing down to sleep stops working for one reason or another. You are lucky if he was mostly sleeping through the night before this. You will be back on track soon.

I think my best advice would be to make sure you are offering lots of water. For my kids I have noticed that when my milk production drops their sleep is sometimes disturbed just from thirst. They need more fluids during the day as well as at night. I usually keep more sippy cups or even baby bottles of water around to offer.

It won't take long and you will settle into your new routine. GL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.