A few questions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1- did you bedshare from birth. I've been doing it and I'm just worried about how people say its unsafe.

2- do you use blankets? I try to keep mine up to my hips but last night we got cold so I tucked it under her and pulled it up some.

3- what do you do in the winter?
#2 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We bedshare from birth, but for the first 4 months ish we're very aware of keeping pillows and blankets away from him or no further up than the waist. In winter they wear warmer outfits to bed and I hold them close.

#3 of 7 Old 09-18-2013, 05:44 AM

For the winter, whether or not you bed share, sleep sacks are excellent. They are really a wearable blanket and don't pose a hazard any more than pjs do. I imagine if you pulled the blanket up on you then you could put baby on top in a warm sleep sack
#4 of 7 Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 PM

We bedshared from birth and during those early months in the winter I kept the covers at my waist and then tucked them up behind my back to keep my back warm. With DD dressed in warm PJs and snuggled close, we both were kept pretty toasty. I found that adding additional layers like a sleep sack made her too hot. A button up pj top or other "easy access/cut-out" pj top is another option. We also kept the house temp a bit higher during the nights instead of dropping it like we usually do.
#5 of 7 Old 09-19-2013, 02:46 AM

1- did you bedshare from birth. Sort of. She mostly slept swaddled in her bassinet next to the bed for the first 3 months, but next time I'll bedshare from birth - I had a little bit of a scare when I accidentally fell asleep on the couch with her and she almost fell off, and now I know that the couch is much more dangerous than the bed so I'll just make our bed safe and go from there. 

2- do you use blankets? Yes, we always used a sheet and a light quilt. I'd tuck it under her sometimes, but after the first couple of months I wasn't worried about it anymore and just slept normally. 

#6 of 7 Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 AM

Bedsharing from birth: from about day 2 or 3. At first we had her in a moses basket because we were kind of shellshocked and didn't know what to do! But couldn't feel good about her being in the moses so put her next to me in the bed. We have a thin duvet but just brought it up to her waist and tucked it around her. We kind of sleep on just a corner of our pillows so there's nothing near her head.

Blankets: Just the duvet. :)

In Winter: It's just been getting cold recently really so we've been wearing warmer shirts to bed (DD's been wearing onesies) and we've been bringing the duvet further up around our shoulders/backs but keeping it tucked around DD's waist. It works so far! 

At first I was a bit wary of what we were doing too, because of the anti-bedsharing agenda mainstream medical people have (if it's not in the NHS guidelines it makes their heads explode!) but I've come to realise that my instincts are really good. If she does wriggle down a bit or the pillow moves or DH goes into a funny position that could compromise her breathing, I wake up. If she stirs even a little bit, I wake up. Sometimes I wake up before her if it's been longer than 2 hours! Ha! 

#7 of 7 Old 09-19-2013, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My son was bron in winter, and I am a very cold person, but we did bedshare from birth safely. I wore a longsleeved knit top I could pull up for nursing and an unbuttoned flannel shirt over that. I tried to keep the covers low. If I was still too cold, I wrapped a baby blanket around my head like a nun's veil with the ends in back around my shoulders--covering your head makes you a lot warmer, but I have never been able to keep a hat on while sleeping!

I put baby in a longsleeved outfit and swaddled him. If it was really cold I did two layers of swaddling, flannel on the inside and then polyfleece. But he has always seemed to stay warm better than I do!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page