Will weaning help my 2.5 yo sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Honestly!  I'm feeling at the end of my rope and wondering if weaning may be our only hope of anyone in our family getting enough sleep.  The issue is that my DS wakes up between 4:30-5:30 every.single.day.  

I want to stress that while DH and I are pretty much always tired (although this is sooooo much better than how things used to be), the main issue is that my son is very frequently too tired.  If we can get him to sleep by about 7-7:30pm and he sleeps until after 5am then he is good to go and doesn't nap until close to noon. But many days one of those things doesn't happen and he is tired, cranky and naps very early.  I'm so tired of dealing with an overtired, nursing toddler.

We have tried a later bedtime.  He won't sleep later no matter what time he goes to bed.  

My husband has taken over nighttime and sleeps with DS in his room.  

We (obviously, but I will say it) tell him it's still night time and not time to wake up, but it never works.  He is just obsessed with wanting to nurse at this hour, but won't go back to sleep nursing.

This has been going on for months (like at least 6), so no, it's not just a phase.

Has anyone weaned in order to get their kids to sleep and did it work?  

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 AM

Just had to tell you my 3 yr old has rarely ever slept past 6 AM in his entire life - his preferred time to get up is about 5:15 - this since he was very very young - he is up for the day and will nurse , but will not go back to bed.  When he was about a year he was up at 5 - took his first nap at 9 or so ...for two hours.  Then second nap around 1 - for another 2 hours ....then went to sleep no later than 7 - at 16 months he gave up his second nap - he spent the month waking at 4:15AM until i figured out what was going on!

so then he was up at 5 - napping at 10 or 11 - for 2 hours and then bed promptly at 6PM.   My MIL used to be merciless - my kid turned into a monster  crank pot half way through dinner - id explain , well, he is normally in bed at this time.....and she would laugh at me - "well no wonder hes up at 5 if you put him down at 6!"

grrrrrrrr......   just like your baby - he would be up at 5:15 NO MATTER WHAT - so put him down at 6 pm ....sometimes its a PITA - but sometimes its really nice!  

i think many people come with 'internal clocks' - sometimes you cant re-program them - you can just go with the flow!   hope this helps

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Old 09-18-2013, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Your prolactin level is peaking at that time, so the most abundant milk supply occurs, it is actually prime feeding time for great milk. My son gulps and gulps around that time as he feeds. I have wonderful milk supply in the wee hours....he is close to four years of age. That is the one feed that he always depends upon it seems, even if he cuts out the rest of them per night. Luckily though he goes back to sleep afterward (his bed time is late, we go together) and then he wakes at 8:30 or so in the morning.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your responses!  It's very validating to hear about your son, Motherhendoula, it sounds so familiar.  I can relate about your MIL!  I've had to become a little neurotic about bedtime and I think many people can't understand.   And yes, I have a ton of milk at that hour Asiago, so it does make sense.  

Old 09-19-2013, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I night weaned my daughter a little after she turned 1 because she was constantly waking up at night to nurse and I couldn't deal with it anymore, I needed some real sleep. After the first couple of difficult nights it worked absolutely, and she stopped waking up at night to nurse and we all slept soooooo much better. Hard to tell if it would work for you, but it worked for us and I was so thankful to finally get a full nights rest!

Old 09-20-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Oread!  I forgot to mention in my original post that we mostly night weaned around 21 months and then cut out a final early morning nursing around 26 months.  So he doesn't nurse at night anymore.  From what I've heard from many people it sounds like night weaning around a year or under has much quicker results than if they have become have a fully opinionated toddler!

User Tag List