Help! I don't want to co sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need advice to help get my 5 week old to sleep in his bassinet (or anywhere else besides in my bed!) he sleeps great, but I do not.
What can I do? He cries the second he goes in it. Swaddled or unswaddled. We have a sound machine and I have tried white noise and the heart beat too. Other ideas ?

WOHM   geek.gif , wife to fuzmalesling.gif since 10/07, momma to jog.gif born 8/22/10 and belly.gifEDD 8/16/13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We put baby's vibrating bouncy seat in the crib, switched on, so the mattress vibrates. He seems to sleep better like that than in said bouncy seat or "regular" mattress.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you tried different sleep positions? From day one, our little guy would not sleep on his back. It is the recommended sleep position for infants but just simply did not work for Pip. 

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I agree with trying different sleep positions for him.  You can also try switching him into the bassinet after he's asleep.  My daughter took a while to transition from co-sleeping to the bassinet (I think we finished the transition at around 5 months).  It was just too uncomfortable for me and we both slept MUCH better apart.  Your guy is still little though and he probably still needs that warmth and motion to sleep.  Try different things but also remember that he'll be much more independent in just a few weeks.  I found that 8 week marker to be a dramatic shift.  Everything seemed to get easier at that point.  So maybe he just needs to grow a little bit before you make the transition. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My DD is 7 wks, and I just got done doing the same thing, so I can tell you what's worked for us. First, I waited until she was spending more time awake, content and alert on her own during the day. First it was just minutes, then 20 mins of crib time while I got dressed, etc. that she was ok being apart. To me, this was the signal that she was detaching on her own and transitioning from that super-fragile neonate stage to an awareness that she is her own person, and doesn't need me every moment. 

I turn the lights way down for at least an hour before I want her to sleep. I change her in dimmed light and nurse her in dimmed light. (We use a dimmer and a cheap taplight from Target.)

Then, after DD is swaddled and asleep in my arms from nursing followed by bouncing or rocking her, I keep bouncing or rocking her for about 5 minutes to get her into deeper sleep. She usually starts dream-nursing at that point, and I know she's gone under. Then I slowly stop until I am holding her still, and move the way I am holding her so I can put her down as gently as possible.

I then put her down in the bassinet slooooowly with my hands still under her. Then I gently slide my hands out from under her. Usually we do this once with her waking up mid-way, but then get it right the second time and she sleeps well. 

At first, she'd only do this for one sleep, and then have a hard time going down apart from us again, but around 6 weeks it started working after the first night-nursing, as long as I let her get into deeper sleep in my arms and then didn't startle her awake. 

I sleep so much better now. Good luck!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

User Tag List