Please help! 9 month old crying all night long - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 9 months and has never been a very great sleeper.  He wakes often, but used to fall back to sleep quickly while nursing and we co-sleep so I had plenty of sleep.  This past few weeks, he has been waking up crying and nursing doesn't stop him.  I switch sides several times and he finally falls back to sleep.  Bedtime has gotten rough also.  He is exhausted but just won't go to sleep.  I nurse him and rock him and he will close his eyes and then wake right back up.  I thought he was waking up because of his diaper, but I switched to disposables at night and tried changing him and he still wakes up.  My husband sleeps through all of this and I am exhausted.  This weekend, he cried the entire night off and on even though I was nursing him and rocking him.  I work during the day and I feel too tired to function.  My mom says that I need to let him cry, but I am not okay with doing that.  My husband is even starting to think he needs to CIO.  My baby is also getting very cranky during the day because he is not sleeping enough. I need some tips for dealing with this.  My exhaustion is causing a lot of stress and resentment towards my husband.  

V + E=baby G in 2012.  Rural Midwestern homesteaders going back to their roots.

“A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.” -Paulo Coelho 

#2 of 8 Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Hi mama, this sounds exhausting and I am too familiar with it. All I know is it will pass and return again many times. It could be a co sleeping issues but may be a baby issues too. Maybe make a mother post here http://www.mothering.com/community/f/32/life-with-a-baby
So more mamas cand advice. Or just scroll down the threads. There ate many similar questions posted. I know it is exhausting and hugs to you and being brave about not letting your baby CIO !!!
#3 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Have you read the no cry sleep solution? It might give you some ideas to try. http://www.amazon.com/No-Cry-Sleep-Solution-Through-Foreword/dp/0071381392/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380766824&sr=1-1&keywords=the+no+cry+sleep+solution
Do you swaddle at night? That might help. 
Lavender essential oil on the bottoms of feet can help too. 
Something in your breast milk might be causing some belly upset. You might try eliminating some common culprits to see if it helps. 
ETA: he might be overstimulated during the day especially now that he's way overtired too. A few days of little to no activity in the home, w/low lighting, and no screen time might help his nervous system chill out. Also some time for him to just lay on his back on the floor w/you nearby, but not necessarily interacting is good. Have you read any of Janet Lansbury's blog? Here's a link w/posts about baby sleep http://www.janetlansbury.com/category/parenting/babys-day/sleep-babys-day-parenting/

and one about crying http://www.janetlansbury.com/2011/09/7-reasons-to-calm-down-about-babies-crying/

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#4 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 PM

Have you got him checked by a doctor? Some babies are colic and cry a lot during the night. It'll be better to have his pediatrician seen him once. Even if it's nothing, you'll have no cause for worry.

#5 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Just thought of a few more things to try
Gripe water or colic tablets? Homeopathic remedies or gas drops like mylicon that you can get at any grocery store?

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#6 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Perhaps it's developmental? My DD finally started crawling at 9mo and I clearly remember her waking a crying a lot during that time. Is he working on anything major? I think you need to ask DH or someone for help. Give the baby over when he's happy or asleep and take a nap. I used to wait till DH got home from work and would do that as often as possible for my own sanity. And I didn't work out of the home then!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#7 of 8 Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would see a doctor at this point. He might be in pain. Reflux can happen at any time.

Is he teething. Ask your doctor about Motrin.

Maybe your child would do better in his own crib or even room. My son was one of those kids who slept better in his own room at 8 months. Perhaps you are waking each other up.

No Cry Solution is a great booj.

#8 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses.  I am not swaddling him, because I think he would bust out.  He had a doctor's appointment next week and everything was fine.  The doctor said that he should be sleeping through the night.  I am not concerned about him sleeping through the night, but I would like him to just sleep.  He has been waking up around 1 and on and off crying and nursing until morning light.  I am so tired I am even wanting to quit nursing.  He is working on walking right now, so that could be messing with his sleep.  I will check out that book.  Thank you.

V + E=baby G in 2012.  Rural Midwestern homesteaders going back to their roots.

“A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.” -Paulo Coelho 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page