6 month old EXTREMELY fussy nights!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-20-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there. I need help.

my 6 month old is pretty happy during the day, but our nights are absolutely terrible. Its to the point that my partner and I dread bedtime. 

He wakes up at least every 20 minutes, if not more often, and is almost inconsolable. I offer for him to nurse, or offer his pacifier, or try and soothe him in any way that I can, but nothing helps. After 15 minutes or so he will fall asleep, only to wake again in 10-20 minutes.  

some background: He doesn't have any teeth yet. He has had a runny nose for about 4 weeks now. I don't have insurance and haven't taken him to the dr yet, and since he hasn't had a fever I haven't been too worried about it, but now my partner's concern is causing me to worry a bit about it. Yesterday, he also started to wake with gunk in his eyes that looks similar to pink eye. I have been putting breast milk in his eye at each feeding as well as some herbal drops a couple times a day. he hasn't started solids yet, but he is still not sitting up on his own (he is crawling and standing up on things, so i don't know if he just doesn't have time to learn to sit up or if he's just not there yet), and I really want to wait a bit longer to start solids if possible. 

I honestly am so frustrated, and so so sleep deprived. Co-sleeping is important to me, and my partner understands that, but i have to admit sometimes in those nighttime hours i wish i could just stick him in a crib. This isn't what i want to do, but i really need help. my older DS was never this fussy for this long-- and i suppose thats what has me the most worried, is that it feels like longer than a short phase, its been a few months that this has been going on. 

Does this sound normal to anyone? or is it a cause for concern? i'm trying to remember that it wont be this way forever, but its hard when you're in the thick of it. 

#2 of 4 Old 10-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. The gunk in the eyes is a worry for me. When my DS had gunk in his eyes, he had a virus including an ear infection. Wishing you all well and better sleep soon.
#3 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just to let you know... we ended up taking him to be seen the next day... he had an ear infection and pink eye. poor guy. 

the next night i gave him tylenol and he slept 12 hours straight. 

#4 of 4 Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 AM

I had thought about you since. I'm so glad you found the reason! :-D Best wishes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page