Sensory issues and sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on how sensory issues affect sleep. My son constantly wakes during the night to nurse and it can sometimes seem like he's latched on all night. On very rare nights ... a good night... I could get maybe two 2 hr blocks. He and i cosleep which is how I've survived until now :-D. He was in a cosleeper crib until he was 11 weeks and I became like zombie from losing so much sleep trying to settle him in his own space.

He has been like this since birth pretty much. He's 22 months now. No doctor that we've met can ever find any medical or physical reason. My DS is healthy and tall and a good weight. Developmentally he has achieved his milestones at the appropriate times. His speech is a bit behind currently but it's not worryingly behind or anything. He's a sensitive soul in general so I was drawn to a comment a mother made on another thread about whether a poor sleeper had sensory issues. I would love to know more. I'm always wondering why my son wakes so frequently or whether it it just habit (nurse to transition back to sleep during light sleep stage). I'm considering starting gentle night weaning soon but really think I'll meet massive resistance. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 PM

My 12 month old son is exactly the same way. I'm currently reading Sleepless in America which offers different suggestions that may help with different temperaments and sensory needs. (No CIO) it's really helped me with naps... still working on the overnight piece!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Cellis27. Wishing you the best of luck. Fingers crossed for us :-D

User Tag List