Getting myself back to sleep after nighttime nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been having the hardest time getting back to sleep after waking to nurse during the night. I cosleep with my 2.5 yo nursling and 4.5 yo. Any suggestions or ways to pass the time? I'm thinking about trying meditation or possibly listening to super boring music or audiobooks.

I've been thinking about night weaning, but if I could just learn how to fall asleep more quickly after the nightwakings I feel like I wouldn't have to.

I feel like I'm in bed for 10 hrs a night and lying awake tossing and turning for 3-4, between 3-5+ night wakings.. It's not the worst sleep I've ever had but still sooo frustrating.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, many thanks!!!
#2 of 7 Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 AM

I'd love to know tips for this too!
#3 of 7 Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've heard people have luck with textbooks.  I had luck with getting up, going to the other room and doing a little light yoga, then I would lay in bed and do sleep visualizations, like waves on a beach carrying me off to sleep.  Ultimately I had to stop cosleeping.  My DH and I traded off for a while.  We all get better sleep with L.O. in his own bed, but he is a particularly active sleeper (he talks and kicks in his sleep).  We have him on a large mat on the floor so we still sleep with him when he is scared or sick.  Hope you see some more zzzz's soon.

Aug 2009;  DS1 Sep 2010; Dec 2012; Dec 2013; May 2014
#4 of 7 Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 AM

Audiobooks work for me.

tracyamber likes this.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#5 of 7 Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies! Is there a good source for iPhone audiobooks? I have some from audible.com but they're a bit pricey. Textbooks also sound like a good idea!

I'm also thinking about buying a Japanese style mat bed for myself and putting it next to the mattress that the kids and I normally share.
#6 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 12:48 AM

Hi there,
What keeps me awake is thinking. I'm trying to teach myself more about mindfullness and not indulging my thoughts as much. Authors such as Fiona Fay and Eckert Tolle have helped me in this respect.

My son is almost 2 yrs and he has pretty much been an all night nurser until 16 days ago. I used the Sally Weans from Night Nursing book to prepare him/us. He's adapted really well. I still nurse him to sleep, once after 3am (which I will be aiming to phase out) and in the morning. It's so much easier falling back to sleep now that I'm not nursing at the same time. My back hurting was what ultimately spurred me to try to night wean.
Good luck
#7 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've heard that if you can't fall back asleep, it's best to get out of bed and do something else.  I get on Mothering.com forums when I can't sleep :)

But the point is to associate the bed with active sleeping, so never watch TV in bed, etc...Does your 2.5yo wake up often to nurse?  When my kids were about 2ish, we got them their own beds.  Sometimes they still fall asleep with us, and we'll just put them in their own beds when they're asleep.  Who knows, maybe your lo won't wake up as often if he's not right next to you?  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page