Night time struggles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 10 months old and there hasn't been a day since she was born that she has not slept with me. It started with her as a newborn, I would camp out on the recliner so that I could hold her and not move. Then about a month later, I put my mattress on the floor and slept with her in my bed. This way was way more convenient for me, she slept longer hours, fussed less, less work putting her back to sleep. We were golden. (I'm asking for advice, please do not grill me that I was wrong, yada yada)

At about 6 months, I brought in a play pen, parked the thing next to my bed, and some how managed to get her to sleep for at least part of the night inside of it. Day time naps are no problem! I lay her down in her play pen and within 5 minutes shes fast asleep. Works like a charm. Its like she knows its night time and Mom wants to sleep, so she wants no part of it unless shes in bed with me.

Well don't I have a genius idea! The playpen is a very hard surface and that her bed is much more comfortable and maybe, just maybe she will sleep by herself if I move her crib in my room. So I did. I took that stupid thing apart, and reassembled it in my bed room. So I start, almost from scratch because she knows its not her playpen. Still, she does wonderful during the day, naps breeze by. It's like she just will not sleep at night unless she is right next to me in my bed, with my pillow.

I just do not know what else to do. I feel like I have tried everything. I even did the dreaded cry it out method. Let her cry for a half an hour this loud, treacherous scream. It was tearing me up! I hate to hear my baby scream. So after an hour of me going in and out of our room, sucessfully getting her asleep TWICE! Only to have her wake in 5 minutes when she realizes I'm not there anymore.. I caved. Yes! I gave in (surprise surprise!)  I'm wondering if I have to just deal with her sleeping with me and just enjoy the company in my bed until she is old enough that she wont want to sleep with me anymore. (God, I can see it now, me cuddling with a 75lb 13 yr old)

I really thought that by a year old I would have her in her own bed. My new goal. Asleep in her own bed by 2! (yeah, right)

TTC since July 2011  neg.gif

BFP on April 27th 2012   thumbsup.gif pos.gifjoy.gif

Gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl January 10th 2013. Never have been so blessed!

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#2 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Don't worry, by the time she's 13 she'll probably weigh more than 75 lbs...  :D

:hug  Bed weaning can be as challenging as weaning from the breast.  I've heard of different things that have worked, and they generally involve waiting until the child is older and can get excited about having her own bed. I had to move mine to their own beds, and then sleep with them in their beds for a long time. 

SaritaMarina likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You know, after an hour today of trying to get her to sleep in her crib, my arms were aching from leaning over and I thought "if only this thing could support me.".

Thats true too with waiting till they are older. Maybe there is hope!

TTC since July 2011  neg.gif

BFP on April 27th 2012   thumbsup.gif pos.gifjoy.gif

Gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl January 10th 2013. Never have been so blessed!

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page