Almost 18-month-old refusing to nap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi! For the last five weeks or so, my son has been resisting naps. This started when he was almost 17 months old, and now he's almost 18 months. Our mattress is on the floor, and DS also has a crib mattress on the floor nearby. He sleeps most of the night there now because our mattress is a double, and it really doesn't fit the three of us comfortably anymore. DS normally still wakes a couple times a night and comes in bed with us around 5 AM, but there have actually been several nights lately when he has slept all the way through from 7 or 8 PM to somewhere between 5 and 7 AM, so I am hopeful that he may be transitioning to sleeping through the night on his own. I'm 19 weeks pregnant, so it would be really wonderful if he would start doing that before the baby comes in April . . .

But naps are a disaster right now. He went to one nap around 8 months, so he is missing his only nap right now! He has always nursed to sleep, but I am drying up, and I wonder if maybe nursing isn't holding his interest very long and making him sleepy anymore because of that. He will nurse for a little bit and then start climbing off the bed. I pull him back on and tell him it's nap time and we need to lie down. He latches on again for just a little bit, then does the same thing. I just spent 45 minutes of that happening over and over and over again. He just laughs and acts like it's all game. I sing to him, and sometimes his eyelids droop, but then they pop wide open again, and he tries to climb down. I know he's really tired. He's cranky and yawning and rubbing his eyes. Sometimes if I pull him back up onto the bed to nurse again enough times, he will eventually fall asleep, but it's not consistent at all. If I don't get him down again on the next try this will be his fourth day in a row with no nap at all.

I am trying to put him down earlier, thinking maybe he is over tired by what used to be his usual nap time. Today, DS was in an awful mood and acting tired around 11:00 AM, but I had to pack my husband's lunch (he leaves for work at 11:30), and then DS was hungry so I gave him lunch. It was 12:15 when I started trying to put him down for a nap, and I really thought he was tired enough to fall asleep without much trouble, but no . . .

Any advice? I read that a sleep regression around 18 months is common. If your kid went through a similar phase at this age, how did it resolve?

Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS gave up naps around 18 months.  On the positive side, his nighttime sleep got much better.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#3 of 6 Old 11-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

I had to give up naps when dd2 was 18 mos.  Not because she didn't need them (she did) but it was impossible to get her down, and I was more cranky and groggy from trying that if I didn't try at all.  Her older sister was on the verge of giving up naps, so as hard as it was I just gave them up.  Our bedtime was insanely early as a result, except the days when she feel asleep in the car.  

It was not the end of the world, and like I said, it actually better for my mental health to write off naps.  I was tired, for sure, but not so frustrated.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 6 Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. Thanks for the input!

#5 of 6 Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, what time were your kids going to sleep and waking up when they stopped napping at that age?

#6 of 6 Old 12-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Neither of my kids have ever slept anywhere near the recommended amount, but they're overall pretty happy kids, so it's not really a big deal. Both my 4 year old son and 20 month old daughter sleep about 10 to 11 hours in a 24 hour period. My daughter is pretty much following in her big brother's foot steps. She gave up all but one nap before she reached a year old, and is definitely not going to be napping at all by the time she's 2. She still naps 3 or 4 times a week, but I'm thinking about trying to give it up entirely, because then it's easier to get her to sleep at night, and she usually wakes up cranky from her nap.

Basically, she and her brother both fall asleep around 9 pm and get up around 7 or 8 am. We all co-sleep on the floor. The four year old reliably sleeps like a log the entire time even if the 20 month old screams. I'm also pregnant and the 20 month old night-weaned about a month ago, so she now usually sleeps straight through, but occasionally she wakes up once or twice a night for a couple minutes. If she only sleeps 10 hours or less at night, I try to get her to take a nap around 2 pm, which usually only lasts about 40 minutes, but if she gets closer to 11 hours at night, then I happily skip it. Thankfully my son didn't really decrease his sleep much between the ages of 1 and 4, so hopefully she'll be the same. 

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page