Nesting ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was pregnant with DS1, I basked in the nesting instinct and got so many great ideas for decorating the nursery we set up for him. The gorgeous nursery decor lasted all of 4 months (2 of which he slept in our room in a co-sleeper) and then we moved, co-slept, and moved again. He's now 2 and in his own floor bed in his room (but we often camp out with him until he falls asleep).

This time, I'm being much more pragmatic as we prepare for the arrival of DC2. We're not bothering to set up a nursery. This kid will be rooming with us. We have our co-sleeper at the ready.
The thing is, I'm 32 weeks and my nesting urge is going crazy! We have everything we *need* for the baby, so there's not much for me to do. It's just not as fun as when we were setting up our son's room. I'd still like to make the little corner of our bedroom our baby will nest in more nursery-like. When I google "co-sleeping nursery ideas" the only thing I get back are safety tips for co-sleeping.
So, Mothering mamas...are you aware if any websites that share decorating/organizing ideas for co-sleeping families? Did you do anything special with the decor of your family bedroom as you prepared for the arrival of your little one? HELP! This is boring!

Mom to Henry, born 10/2011 and The Newbie, due 2/2014!
#2 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Congratulations on your pregnancy! It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have ideas for nesting and decorating for co-sleeping?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 05:55 PM

I don't have any websites to share but can share my own experiences! We also did not set up a nursery in another room, but I wanted to do something to make it feel special too. We have a crib sidecarred to the bed.

I hung christmas lights in a 'frame' around the crib- like an upside down square 'U' ... and they are also tucked in to two red and yellow morrocan style lamps I found at a garage sale, so the lamps glow. Everything is child proofed obviously. I connected this to a dimmer switch so I can keep them on really low for middle of the night nursing and naps. It feels like a little 'shrine' around ds's crib and made me feel like we prepared a sacred space for him.

We also made a banner that says 'welcome to our family!' ... for us it was our first so we did it as part of our baby celebration and friends and family helped, but if you have a toddler it would be perfect with them too. Each letter is a separate paper, we used half sheets of watercolor paper, and then your toddler could help you paint them for the baby. The letters are thick permanent market and we strung them together.

I also created a space in our room to prepare for him and that helped with nesting too. We had a homebirth so for me it was all my birth supplies and a birth altar with special objects and newborn size clothes and first blankets, that sort of thing. I think even if you are planning a hospital birth making a birth altar is beautiful. Inspiring, empowering images and objects, birth art, gifts for the baby, etc.
#4 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Is there a room in your house which will ultimately be the baby's room? We co-sleep from birth but both our girls have a room which will be their bedroom eventually.

Before DD2 was born I cleaned her room. Put her clothes in it, set up the change table, put some books and toys on the bookcase etc and decorated it a little bit. Just a couple of framed prints on the wall. We also bought her these wall stickers http://www.beckyandlolo.co.uk/tree-and-birds-wall-stickers
Although I didn't get them up until after she was born.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I really like the previous poster's birth alter concept, and imagine it would be easy to assemble something special, meaningful and practical.
I would collect my herbal tinctures there, as well as a live plant or cut flowers
How about an arrangement of floating shelves or plate rails with art and photos to display?

Does your cosleeping nest have other components other than a bed?
For instance, if you have a glider there I would do a beautiful slipcover or cushion. Fun to think about the possibilities.

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#6 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 02:06 PM

I don't know of a website specific to co-sleeper decor, but I can also share what I did with dd #1.

We were living in a one bedroom apartment when I had dd. A friend of mine let us borrow a small vintage crib that we put a foot away from the bed, though we ended up sleeping with dd in our bed. Anyway, I also wanted to nest, but not go totally baby in our bedroom. I ended up LOVING the decorations I put up and want to recreate them now that we moved. I hung some white xmas lights on the wall above the crib, then hung white fabric over them. They were icicle lights, so they hung down the wall in strips and made a beautiful starry night effect behind the fabric. Then I found a nice branch with multiple offshoots and hung about 15 - 20 painted stars from it. I painted the glow-in-the-dark stars that I had for years. I drilled a tiny hole in them and used glittery thread to hang them. Then I hung the starry branch from the ceiling above the crib. The total effect was beautiful. I think connecting the lights to a dimmer like oceanmamafarmer did would have been a great addition. I wish I had a pic to show.

One other idea: go on to pintrest and search some ideas. There are a ton of DIY stuff, perfect for the bored nester.

Good luck and congratulations on #2! :stillheart 

Its my super DH superhero.gif, my lovely DD jog.gif(11/15/11), ferocious Future Cat, and myself read.gif

familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page