Need a date night! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-18-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, I'm new to this site:) Looking for advice and encouragement to help me get out with DH for a dinner/movie date night. The concept feels daunting right now. DD is 1yo, nurses to sleep for naps, bedtime, and her many night wakings (every 3hrs on a good night, every 1-2 whenever there is a cold/tooth/milestone aka often). She naps in her crib and starts the night there (7ish), then comes to bed with us at one of the night wakings to cosleep. I have hardly been out of the house at all at night in months. About a month ago grandma came so I could go out (she LOVES grandma) - I left after she was asleep, was gone for 2hrs, arrived to a wide awake baby playing happily but so wound up she was up for two more hours and was an overtired disaster. Grandma said she couldn't be consoled in room so she brought her downstairs to play with Poppop just to keep her happy. I don't know how hard she tried to get her back to sleep, but she does expect to nurse. So...what do you all do? Do I dare leave whenever and let them figure out bedtime themselves? Leave after bedtime and pray for a good stretch? Thanks!!

#2 of 4 Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Can you go out during the day instead? This is what DH and I do. Going out at night is simply too disruptive and not worth the upset for us.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 4 Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, katelove, that's how we celebrated out anniversary back over the summer, matinee and early dinner back for bedtime. We certainly could try more of that. But I would really love to find a way to escape after the sun goes down...starting to feel trapped & resentful and I know the rare break will help keep our bf relationship going longer, and keep dh supportive.
#4 of 4 Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think it would be worth it to spend time teaching Grandma and Grandpa more about your babies' bedtime routine, as well as letting them experiment with alternatives to comfort nursing. 

I am going through a similar thing, just trying to get out of the house a lone more, and what I am doing is introducing bottles (DD is nearly 5mo.... so it's a crap shoot) and transitioning from almost exclusively nursing to sleep to doing more bouncing/rocking to sleep. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page