18 month old suddenly can't fall asleep for 1 to 2 hours - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD just turned 18 months old and for the last 2 weeks it's taken her anywhere from an hour to 2 hours to fall asleep. We've had the same bedtime routine since she was about 5 months old- bathtime at 7pm, stories, nursing, and falling asleep next to mommy at 8pm almost to the minute. Nothing has changed in the last two weeks routine-wise. About 3 weeks ago we night weaned, and she's done fine with it. She's also been sleeping on a crib mattress on the floor up against our bed for the first part of the night and then she comes and finds us when she wakes up and sleeps with us the rest of the night. She totally understands that she can have milk when the sun comes up. The only thing I can think is that it's an age related thing? The problem is my husband and I are just getting really REALLY tired of waiting for her to fall asleep, and aren't getting any down time at all. I know there are worse things, but it feels so frustrating to lay there for hours and then when she does fall asleep if you move at all she's scared your leaving. Separation anxiety related? I'm just looking for any advice out there. We're considering ways to gently wean her off of falling asleep next to us, but I have no idea where to start. Maybe just sitting in a chair with a light on and letting her talk to herself in bed until she falls asleep? I really think she could easily wait us out until 10pm or later and that's not only not good for us, it's not good for HER. Looking for some options mamas!! Anyone ever been through this?

#2 of 4 Old 12-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Anyone have any advice for this mama?
Hugs to you mama. Sounds frustrating!
#3 of 4 Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 PM

How many naps is she taking and when does she get up for the day? May be there needs to be adjustment in the napping schedule or just in bedtime. My 18 month old takes one nap anywhere from 1 to 3 hours between 11:30 - 3:00 and goes to bed between 7:30 & 8:30. He usually falls asleep nursing but occasionally I have to rock him for about 10 minutes.

He does still nurse throughout the night but we will be song that next week. Would love tips on how to manage that!!
#4 of 4 Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Following... my almost 2 year old is taking forever to fall asleep too and I would LOVE to have some time with my husband at night to just talk and be adults.  All my friends say CIO but I don't want to do that. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page