Rolling and co sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is almost 5 months old, sleeping beside me since birth but was in a nest for the first few months. Now he's just beside me on the bed. My daughter was the same. No issues except my son is a big roller now and the past few nights he wants to roll on his tummy to sleep. My daughter always slept on her back until she was about a year or even older so this is new to me. I have a few concerns.....first, he can roll onto his tummy no problem but can't always roll back to his back. Is it ok to let him roll over to sleep?? Also, he wears a sleep sack...is it ok for him to be rolling onto his tummy in the sleep sack? His arms are free. And finally, he often rolls right into me and it freaks me out that will suffocate if he rolls while I'm asleep. I tried to give him lots of room last night but I didn't really sleep as a result. Any wisdom to share on this??

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-22-2013, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

My baby did the same- still sometimes does- and generally started fussing or crying soon after. Despite being strong enough to roll on his back or push himself up, he still starts crying when he rolls onto his stomach sometimes. :eyesroll No sleep sack, though, not sure how that changes things.

Can you hold your baby? Kiddo falls asleep with my arm around him. Most of the time that prevents movement, unless it's too hot- then kiddo will roll away (it has been the last few nights).

If you really aren't comfortable, can you find another option?

#3 of 5 Old 12-22-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

He falls asleep on my lap nursing and then I lay him down beside me...he transfers fine surprisingly. He doesn't cry at all when he rolls on his stomach...he seems to love it. Two nights in a row and he's slept more than he has in a month! I guess he's ok....??

#4 of 5 Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Reading this may help ease your mind: http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-sears-co-sleeping-a-sids-danger

I've seen a lot of research about bed sharing reducing the risk of SIDS because the parents, esp. nursing parents, are tuned into the baby better, so if something did go wrong- you'd be aware and respond. I imagine that you're aware of your baby's first fusses.  You can find ways to stop your baby from rolling if it's really important to you, though. Consider finding a position where you're holding your baby so that he can't roll as easily.

I don't know for sure, but I feel like the risk of SIDS with belly-sleeping is lessened once your baby is able to hold his head up and push his body up while on his stomach. If your baby can do those things, then I wouldn't be as concerned. Again, I'm not positive on that one.

#5 of 5 Old 12-23-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

That's what I've been reading a lot...that if they can roll over themselves they should be fine. Last night was night 3 of tummy sleeping and he slept 10-5! I ditched the sleep sack and just dressed him a bit warmer. I scoot down a bit and over so he has lots of room. I guess I'll continue to go with it!

sillysapling likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page