What do you do when your baby does not sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My almost 9 month old has been awake constantly at night for several weeks and I am SO tired. We have his crib open on the side and pushed up against our bed, so we just have one large bed. He wakes up about every half hour to an hour loudly wailing. Sometimes I nurse him to sleep, sometimes I help him get comfortable and rub his back...but it is just too much night waking. Anybody have experience or advice? 

-Hannah

Joyful mama of 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

He is not your first? What was it like with your other babies at this stage? For me his behavior sounds fairly normal--- 9 mo olds are known for restlessness as separation awareness is coming into play. Also are you a working mama or with him all day (to sort out whether this is calorie related or just restlessness/neediness).

Old 12-29-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My babies have all been very different, and truthfully my others are enough older that the details are hazy. I am going to say that this is my most difficult nighttime experience. If this sounds normal to you for this age, does it fade away pretty quickly? It is just so intense and I am feeling like a zombie at this point. Not like myself at all. 

I am with him 24/7. He breastfeeds on demand and eats some solids of the fattening sort. 

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It sounds normal to me, too.  I will say, that with my last baby, I was 9 years older than I was with my first, and I thought it was much harder, even though I was probably getting more sleep total with last baby.  I think the older 'we' get, the harder it is to go without sleep. 

If you do think this baby is waking more than is normal - I would check for pinworms, teething, ear infection....

Old 12-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

It sounds normal to me, too.  I will say, that with my last baby, I was 9 years older than I was with my first, and I thought it was much harder, even though I was probably getting more sleep total with last baby.  I think the older 'we' get, the harder it is to go without sleep. 

If you do think this baby is waking more than is normal - I would check for pinworms, teething, ear infection....

I agree with you.....my last baby came when I was 41 and man I perceived loss of sleep way different than when I was 30! 

Nine months is a tricky age--babies are becoming so much more aware--they now know that you exist when they can't see you, they are teething, they have more awareness of their own ability to move through crawling and traveling. I think I read that they even become more aware of their dreams around that age. So there are big doings in their brains and neurological systems. 

I wish I could say it would fade fast. Many people who've had great sleepers up until 9 months, go on with terrible sleepers until 18-20 months or so. It's hard to say how it will go for you. Some babies figure it out and get back to a better sleep pattern. 

I think there's a lot of value even in short cat naps that can be taken during the day; for example when he is nursing in the daytime, even a 15 min nursing snooze for you can do wonders for you in getting through this phase. 

Looking back (It's way hazy for me; and I was a working mom at the same time so perhaps I slept through years of my day times!) I would say it still was all worth it, even though at the time it is awful.

If you look at the number of threads in this forum that are about the exact same thing, you'll see you're not alone!! 

User Tag List