Family update and Question on SIDS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear Mother Community,

I was a very active poster and reader about ten to eleven years ago. Our dd is now almost 11 and in 5th grade at a Waldorf School here in Seattle. She is one of the healthiest children I know - bright, intelligent, outgoing, athletic, emotionally balanced (with a bit of spice and fire at times). She has fluency in Chinese and English (speaking, writing, and reading), and is also studying Japanese and Spanish, playing violin.

Background - we attempted a home breech birth but ended up in the hospital with a cesarean. (Mom is doing fine). Our midwife was strung up on the medical cross and forced to leave the country (despite our being in the Dept. of Health court for 5 days testifying in her defense).

We practiced attachment parenting, infant wearing, co-sleeping, breast feeding until age three, diaper free toileting, and no vaccinations, no TV - some movies, and we have no plan to buy her a cell phone or a computer anytime soon - though she does use the computer to watch Chinese movies and order books from the public library. She uses a Kindle Paperwhite (no internet connectivity) - so we aren't complete luddites.

Still, I am gravely concerned about my daughter's future based on threats to the ecosystem...but perhaps I'll save that for another post. Now to my question:

I am taking a Developmental Psychology class and read that SIDS is linked with co-sleeping. I remember reading about this when I researched co-sleeping, but thought that the more complete story was that the co-sleeping link was only statistically relevant when other factors were present such as obesity, alcoholism and drug use in parents, cigarette smoking, etc. Did I miss something? I do remember that Mothering ran articles encouraging co-sleeping.

Thanks for the reality check and good to be back!:joy:bouncy dust.gif

#2 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Hi Pema's Father! I'm moving your post to the Family Bed and Nighttime Parenting forum where it wil get more input. :thumb

#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I remember you!  I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing so well.

I'm surprised nobody has responded to your question.  There are lots of resources in the articles section of this site.  Here are some good ones:

Cosleeping is Twice as Safe

Index of Nighttime Parenting Resources

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was going to mention James McKenna of University Notre Dame
http://cosleeping.nd.edu/
Though it may be included in the link above.
Best wishes Pema's Father!
#5 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 AM

Yes. Newer studies have factored infant age in as a risk factor, and have shown that, for younger babies, there is a generally increased risk even after allowing for factors like smoking, bedding, etc. I wrote a (longish) summary of the research a year or so back, at http://parentingmythsandfacts.com/2011/12/15/the-truth-about-bedsharing-risks-and-why-it-may-not-be-what-you-think/

The risk is much higher if anyone in the bed is a smoker; if other young children are in the bed; on a waterbed or sofa; and with premature/low birthweight babies. Absent those risks, you're looking at a low overall risk, so I think it's a case of weighing up the pros and cons rather than being firmly anti-bedsharing (if you have a baby who just won't settle in a cot, bedsharing may be less risky than becoming so tired you fall asleep on the sofa with your baby) and being careful about safety precautions if you do bedshare (the UNICEF leaflet on bedsharing gives a good summary of precautions). But, yes, there's a slight risk there.

#6 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

Cosleeping is Twice as Safe

That article actually refers to suffocation risk, not SIDS risk, which is what the OP was asking about.

(Also, there's a big flaw in Kimmel's analysis: it simply isn't possible to get remotely accurate figures on bedsharing deaths from the dataset she uses, because the biggest group of bed-related suffocation deaths, the 'Other beds/bedding' group, doesn't have data on what proportion were bedsharing deaths. Kimmel points out quite correctly that we can't use that group to make calculations about suffocation risk in bedsharing and thus leaves them out of the calculations; but the problem is that, since we're missing data on such a big proportion on the deaths, we just can't use that dataset to make any accurate calculations on the risk of bedsharing death. If some of that group actually were bedsharing, that could be enough to push the figures the other way. So, without knowing what proportion of the 'Other beds/bedding' group were bedsharing deaths, we can't use that dataset to say anything about relative suffocation risks. I tried to leave a comment pointing out this error, but for some reason it didn't seem possible to leave comments.)

#7 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Good points! I had wondered about the large size of that "other" category. I work for a research study, and we have a policy of asking for description of any "other" response and then checking them to see if they can be recoded into one of the existing categoried or if there are enough similar ones to make a new category. That would have been a good idea in this data set. I have seen death certificates in my work, and at least in my state they have room for details.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page