What are normal cosleeping behaviors? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all-

I have been co sleeping with my 5 month old since birth and she cannot seem to sleep long periods without me. For night time, she will not go down for night without me. It would be great if she went down for night at 7 or 8 and slept for 3 to 4 hours. Is this just normal cosleeping behaviors?

If your child does go down for night and sleeps longer than an hour, how did you do it? How do I get her used to sleeping without me?

Is it normal for cosleeping babies to go to bed later?
#2 of 6 Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Hi Theotokos and welcome to Mothering!

All babies will be different at different ages. I have a cousion whose 2 year old never has slept through the night and a niece whose baby sleeps 8 hours straight and she's only 5 months old.

Every baby has its own sleep pattern and development stages and different things will influence how long they sleep. Could be your baby is sensitive to noise or having a presence next to her. Try a white noise machine, maybe a lullaby playing softly in the background (here's one that has a member recommendation) . And if you lay down with her until she falls asleep try placing a blanket rolled up and under the sheet or blanket next to her to imitate your body. It might be all she needs to feel like she's not alone. :love 

#3 of 6 Old 01-19-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't know what's "normal"- but my DD is 11 mo and never sleeps unless I'm right there by her side. She still wakes frequently to nurse, sometimes every hour or more when she's teething/unwell. I'm sorry! I know how it is to be frustrated by no sleep. 

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
#4 of 6 Old 01-21-2014, 02:54 AM

% months is still very young. I know it's frustrating when other people talk about their babies sleeping for 7 hours at a time but I doubt it's because of anything they're doing, it's just how the baby is. Young babies are designed to wake up a lot, their stomachs are tiny and it's an evolutionary thing too, it's how they survived when they were at risk of being eaten by bears :)

I think it will just happen naturally, it did with mine, but you could try just rubbing her back/front when she wakes, rather than feeding her, although that could backfire.

As for when do cosleeping babies go tot sleep, some go to bed later when they're parents do, others are taken up and the mom lays down with them for a while until they go to sleep, this will eventually take less time.

Sorry I don't have a magic answer but she will grow out of it, I promise you, they all do sleep eventually.

#5 of 6 Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM

I am in the same place with my 3 month old. He has not slept alone since he was a few weeks old and has been sleeping in a Moby wrap in the evenings for the past few weeks. I still do bedtime routine at 7:00 and then just wear him until I go to bed at 9:30. Lately though he has been waking up a lot through the evening and I tried getting him to sleep on his own in the bed. He fell asleep a few times and I left, but he seemed to figure it out quick and then just cried  every time I put him down so I gave up and put him in carrier again. I would like to know how much you should leave a baby to cry if you are with them and if you do give up should you try again the next night? In any case I understand the feeling of not really knowing what to do about this behaviour. It doesn't seem to be addressed in any of the co-sleeping and attachment parenting stuff I've read.

#6 of 6 Old 02-08-2014, 09:21 PM

My 11 month-old wakes up to nurse several times at night. One night I laid him down next to his dad while I was up watching tv, and he woke up and tried to pull down Daddy's top for nummies! When he was younger I tried to put him down asleep, but he woke up so easily I stopped trying. Now, sometimes we can get him back to sleep by patting or rubbing his back or stomach, but if he wants to nurse he won't settle for anything else.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page