Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Co-sleeping and the Family Bed (http://www.mothering.com/forum/37-co-sleeping-family-bed/)
-   -   mobility issues with sharing bed/babyproofing (http://www.mothering.com/forum/37-co-sleeping-family-bed/1396022-mobility-issues-sharing-bed-babyproofing.html)

here we are 01-18-2014 11:50 PM

Quickly coming to ask for help. .our bed is off the floor with baby in the middle. I am thinking it must be lowered but not sure how low it can go. There's mattress & slats for bad back so it makes it higher than just mattress. I read people had mats or pillows around the bed. Is this what people rely on for rolling off the bed? My baby is 6 months old.
Should I also put bed against the wall ? If I do that it can only go in one place due to heaters. And I'm not sure if it would help because itd be the long side of the bed but the head would be exposed without a wall.
Is there a way without a crib to box in a space? I have an idea to put the bed near the corner where theres a dip in the almost square room so lengthwise the head could box in the bed parallel to the wall but at the foot of the bed I need something to keep the baby in that space which will be lower than the bed?? Like a babygate/bedrail that can go anywhere kind of thing, kwim ? Or another way to safely block.
That way there wont be any heaters to worry about yet.
This is like trying to create a crib . Now that I think about it I dont know if the baby would even sleep there but I still wish I could make it happen.

And I'd like to babyproof the room too.What about heaters ?

cynthia mosher 01-25-2014 10:41 AM

Hi here we are! Let's see if we can help you. There is a nice co sleeper pad that prevents roll offs. Here's a pic of it and you can read the reviews about it here. 

For babyproofing I would just make sure dangerous items are put up high, away from reach, floors are kept clean for cawling and exploring, and keep doors closed to rooms that are not babyproofed. I think it's also a good idea to plug electric outlets with safety plugs and put corner guards on any tables that have sharp corners that baby might fall against. Also, make sure there are no dangling cords on drapes and blinds.

If you have stairs or an area you want your baby to keep away from but have no door to block it off you might want to place a gate. We have several in our reviews section here.

I'm sure I've missed a few things and others have some good suggestions but this is a nice start.

Anyone have anything else to suggest? :)