Feeling Like Nightmare Mommy to 21 Month Old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-07-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

​Hello. I am hoping for some feedback or help ...

I had a parenting epiphany of sorts as I was putting my son to sleep an hour ago, when I realized that my behavior toward him as a "night time parent" is putting our relationship, and his sleep, in serious jeopardy. I am sitting here shaking and choking back tears because I think I've finally hit my low point with it and now I am desperate to find some answers and change my behavior as soon as humanly possible (TONIGHT!) so that I can stop hurting my sweet little boy.

He is 21 months. He has never slept well. He is a restless and light sleeper who has never slept an entire night out of my arms. He is still breastfeeding at least 2 or 3 times a night (usually more like 4 or 5) I am also a light sleeper who is woken easily, and he kicks, squirms, pinches my nipples (even when he's not breastfeeding) during the majority of the night. I haven't slept more than 4 hours in a row in almost 2 years. I am exhausted and frustrated, frazzled and so sad that he hasn't progressed in his sleep maturation much at all since he was about 3 months old. On top of that, up until about 2 months ago, I was unable to put him down for naps during the day, as well. I had to rock him for all of them. 2, 3 times a day when he was a baby and now we're down to one... but I still have to stay in his room while he sleeps because if he wakes up after a half-hour or so and I'm not immediately there, he'll get so upset that he won't go back to sleep. About 3 times out of 10, he won't let me put him down at all and I have to rock him for 2+ hours. Please don't get me wrong - there is SO MUCH about holding and rocking my son while he sleeps that has been so very, very precious to me and that I wouldn't go back and change for the world... but he is 30 pounds now, almost 3 feet tall and my back, arms and neck feel like they're on fire almost all the time. My hand and arm that his head is resting on for the nap time fall completely asleep and I sit rocking him with tears of pain rolling down my face sometimes.

I am a stay at home mom, and I work so hard during the day to be patient, loving and a calm and reassuring presence in my son's life. I am so incredibly in love with him and I struggle so hard not to lose my temper, yell at him or lose my patience. Besides my husband, who is incredibly supportive, but who has a VERY demanding job, I have no other support. I live 500 miles away from any family. So, in the middle of the night, when my little boy wakes up to nurse, then tosses, turns then tries to get up or when he wakes at 4:45 AM and won't go back to sleep, I snap. It's like I become a different person with him. All the things I struggle and usually win over during the day overtake me at night. I know there's no excuse, but I scream, I yell, I threaten, I plead, I cry, I put him in his room, in his crib and leave him crying in the dark (I've never left him in there for more than 10 minutes or so, but still... it's got to be terrifying for him). My husband sleeps in a separate bedroom because we all got more sleep that way, early on, and now my son won't tolerate my husband in bed with us at all. So, I am alone in this at night. I just don't know how to make it stop and, after last night's ugly battle, I tried to put him to sleep tonight, just like I normally do (stories, lights out, singing, rocking, nursing, etc.) and he totally freaked out. He started crying and begging not to go to sleep (and, believe me, he was totally exhausted), so much so that I ended up having to leave the light on so that he would finally clam down enough to fall asleep. I was astounded, but, a little voice inside my head said "well, what did you expect? This horrible Mommy that comes out every night was bound to effect him negatively at some point!" No wonder he is afraid to go to sleep and has trouble staying asleep. He's probably terrified of me at night time! I looked down at my sweet baby and realized I need help. I need help to change this and I need support.

I don't know who to turn to, so anything anyone has to offer, I would be so incredibly grateful. I need to do better for my son. I need to do better starting tonight. I just hope I can help him heal from this and that he'll learn to trust me at night again... Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for anything at all you might be able to suggest to help.

#2 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
This is so hard mama and I know from experience that when we are tired and sleep deprived our best parenting skills can fall apart and it infuriating and guilt feeling is strong. I am sorry and I have no advice and hoping someone just missed your post and give you some solid advice. Hugs to you and your son and I am sure the two of you can move forward.
Chaiya8 likes this.
#3 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 AM

Oh bump!
Please any advice anyone.
#4 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM

For me, the first thing that always comes to mind when a situation seems outside most people's experience is that there is probably more going on. Have you examined food allergies or vitamin/mineral deficiencies?

What about the environment? Is his room dry and he is thirsty? Is he hot or cold? Does he get plenty of outside play time in the morning? Could he be hungry? What happens if you give him a drink and a snack when he wakes up in the middle of the night?

What if you totally changed things up to break the cycle? One night, before you expect him to wake up, wake him up and put him in the car in his seat. Hand him a sippee cup and a favorite snack. Drive around for a while and see what happens. Or whatever. Don't be afraid to step way out the box.

Good luck. It is really hard to be so tired.
tracyamber and Chaiya8 like this.
#5 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

First off, please believe that you are already doing incredibly well for your son. You are doing all that is in your power to do. You are being warm and loving to him despite being unutterably exhausted, and you have maintained this for almost two years. It simply isn't possible to maintain that 24/7 for this length of time. It isn't that you need to 'do better' - it's that you're trying to do something that can't be done. You can't keep giving and giving and giving to another person if you can't recharge yourself, and, right now, you can't.

Here's my advice. Like all parenting advice, it should be taken with as much scepticism and as big a pinch of salt as you like. If you read it and think it's not right for you, your situation... IGNORE. If it speaks to you as being helpful, great. If not, don't make it into yet another thing you feel you 'should' do. You just don't need that at all.

Right now, I think you can either keep going as you are - nursing your little one back to sleep multiple times each night, rocking him to sleep when he wants it, and remaining so horribly tired/burned out/frazzled in the process that you become less and less and less able to give him the love he needs. Or you can support him through the difficult but possible business of learning to sleep on his own.

If you do the latter, that means setting a new ground rule: "I cannot nurse you to sleep, rock you to sleep, or hold you while you kick me in your sleep, any more. Not because I don't want to be there for you, but because I can't physically and mentally do it and keep taking care of you in the other ways you need, and these are the things that have to give. I know this will be very, very difficult for you to do without at first, and I will be there for you every step of the way, supporting you through the difficult business of learning to do without those things. But I do have to stop doing those things, because it is simply not possible to do them any more, much as we all wish it was, and so this is one of those times when, as your mother, I have to say 'no'."

Start by going through that in your mind until you can bring yourself to believe it. Tell your LO a simplified version of it - about how nursing is going to be daytime only now, about how he's going to go to sleep in his bed now, about how you will be there taking care of him. Sound calm and decisive when you say it (you may have to practice first!). Of course, at 21 months, he won't even understand much of the simplified version, but he'll get some of it.

Then, at naptime and bedtime, go through the usual routine (including nursing him right beforehand, so that he knows nursing still happens), and then put him down to sleep. He'll scream. He'll get upset. He'll try to get up. Stay calm through all this and keep soothing him. Pat him, talk to him softly about how you know how hard it is and you will both get through it. Every time he tries to get up, put him back down again. If it calms him to have you lying next to him holding him, then do that. If he's kicking too much for you to do that, stick to the patting and the talking softly. Maybe sing softly if he likes that. Keep acting very, very calmly and confidently, however little you feel it. Stay with him all the time, keep comforting him - but don't rock or nurse him to sleep.

Do this every single time he has to go to sleep, whether it's naptime, night-time, or waking in the middle of the night time. If DH is sympathetic, get him on board sharing the wake-up calls, and covering for you during the day so that you can get some sleep too.

Brace yourself for it in advance. It will feel very, very rough for a few days, and you will feel horrible for not giving him what he wants. Keep remind yourself that what you're doing, instead, is giving him what he needs. He needs a mother who has the physical and emotional energy to keep being the loving mother she is to him. If things keep going as they are, if he gets the nursing to sleep that he wants, then he won't get what he needs. He's too young to understand that. You understand it. You have to make this decision for him, to treat this the way you would treat a medical procedure that's necessary for his health - comfort him all the way through it, but stay firm on the fact that he needs it.

Brace yourself for it to go on for hours the first few times. That's not to say it will - hopefully it won't - but, if you're braced for the worst, anything else will come as a relief, and if it does go on for hours you'll be ready. You can get through this, because it will be temporary. However upset he is, he can't stay awake forever, and he will eventually end up asleep out of sheer exhaustion, and, once he's managed it the first few times it will get easier and quicker. He'll learn that, actually, nothing terrible happens to him if he has to fall asleep without nursing. That you're still there and never leave him. That you still hug and nurse him lots during the day, and laugh with him and play with him and all those other wonderful things. That this change in affairs is manageable and OK. And he will become physically better at falling asleep, because that's what happens with any skill you practice. So, things will get quicker.

Keep a record of how long he cries for each time. That way you'll be able to see how things improve. Set a period of time for which to try this; maybe five days, maybe a week; see what progress gets made during this time.

Come back and let us know how it goes, if you can, and good luck; I hope things go well. I also know that, whatever you do about this, you will still be a wonderful, loving mother to him throughout all the years of his childhood and that is what he'll remember when he's an adult, not whether you screamed back at him or whether you did or didn't nurse him to sleep when he was less than two.

#6 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I agree with the points made above. First, double and triple check for physical causes, especially food related.

And then, I agree with the PP that not doing CIO does not also mean that you have to do the work of falling asleep for your child. I learned this the hard way with my LO. I realized, I think around your son's age, that she really wanted me to PUT her to sleep. I was working SO hard to do the work that she really needed to do herself. So, I stopped working so hard. I was there for her whenever she wanted me, whenever she cried for me, for as long as it took her to fall asleep. But I no longer patted, shushed, sang, bounced, etc. to put her to sleep. Before long, she didn't even need me to stay in the room with her, although we still have a long, sweet bedtime routine with lots of snuggles and soothing.

I will add - at almost 4, my DD still does not usually sleep through the night. But when she does wake, I don't feel that same pressure that I used to. And believe me. I'm very familiar with the mean night time mommy. I know that you are doing the very best you can for your son, and I know his hard it can be. Good luck.
Chaiya8 likes this.
#7 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would hire a Sleep Consultant at this point.

You deserve to sleep. No one need to eat 5 times a night at this age.

#8 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 05:22 PM

Now I can come back and add. My son was a horrible sleeper. I started the habit of rocking him to sleep while the shower was running because nothing would work and I was becoming so desperate. But sometimes we would shower 3 times a night in between nursing to sleep and it got crazy. When he became 30 pounds my back ached while standing and rocking and it occurred to me that I could not do it for much longer and I fretted . Then one day he said no shower( at 2 years old and that was that and I didn't have to figure out a solution. But anyways now he is almost 3 and he still wakes a few times a night and I think some people are good sleepers and some are not. I hope you figure things out soon.
Chaiya8 likes this.
#9 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all SO much!!! It is simply amazing to read such words of support and encouragement. I am going to re-read all of these suggestions and let it settle in. Then see what i need to do to move forward. Just writing this last night helped me have more patience with him, and, since I was calmer, so was he, a bit.

Good Enough Mum- your wisdom and advice are a godsend and, when I get up the courage and I feel ready, I will be taking a great big helping of it. Thank you so very, very much. It made me want to hug you!!

Thanks again, to all.
ballerina85 likes this.
#10 of 17 Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM

I think you have gotten really good advice here.  I think it is easy to get caught in a trap of trying to not let our firstborn experience any discomfort.  But it does not actually serve the child well to agree with them that they are unable to be okay without you doing everything they want.

Take care of yourself.  During the day get help caring for your child so you can be whole.  Decide what things you are happy to do at night and what things are beyond your capacities.  Your child will adjust as long as he is safe and you or his father are willing to be with him as he works it out.  He will be angry with the changes but ultimately more secure with his parents confidently making healthy boundaries.     

Chaiya8 likes this.
#11 of 17 Old 02-21-2014, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
How are things now? I was in the exact same place you were. You are not alone. It is just not possible to maintain what you are doing for so long without recharging yourself.

To look at a different side of this (I totally support following the advice above too) is there any way you can get a baby sitter once a week for you to have some alone time and maybe sleep?

I also made the decision when my kids were that age to night wean. I was going crazy from lack of sleep and had no energy and so little joy left in me.

I still nursed to sleep but then didn't do milk again until that busy morning nursing time. So they nursed to sleep around 8 pm and had no milk until around 5 am or so. At that point they often nursed back to sleep once or twice. They seem to be able to differentiate between the middle of the night and when it is almost morning. And it means they stay in bed until at least 7 or 8 am instead of getting up at 5:30!

The first night I cried with them (different kids so different years). Then I stopped being so upset because I realized it was something I had to get through to help us all sleep better and be happy.

They both still like me to be there in the night, but they roll over some time after 1 am, see me, then go back to sleep. I am hopeful one day soon they will sleep all night. I don't mind nursing to sleep. They love it so much.

Anyhow just do you know there are lots of different ways this can be done. And making changes where ever you see the possibility will turn into huge improvements.

Also go to sleep at the same time as much as possible. They is often when kids sleep the longest so you will get great sleep then.

I really hope things are going well and please be kind to yourself!

*hugs*
tracyamber and Chaiya8 like this.
#12 of 17 Old 02-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Hi there, I decided to nightwean my DS at 22 months. He woke to nurse between every light sleep phase countless times a night. I found this book wonderful and my son (to my shock) accepted it really well. The book is called "Sally weans from night nursing". My son still nurses to sleep and again when he wakes if it's past 6am. I still nurse and hold him during naps. I start off the nap by standing and holding/rocking him in my arms while singing and nursing and then we lie on bed after a couple of minutes. This move to lying down rather than me sitting was gradual from about 21 months on. Since night weaning I'm happier....I don't even mind that my son still wakes about 4 or more times a night. He falls back to sleep with a cuddle much quicker, as do I. Good luck!!! :-)
Chaiya8 likes this.
#13 of 17 Old 02-22-2014, 02:44 PM

I bought that ebook too we love it and used it during weaning too.
#14 of 17 Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 PM

I think you are doing amazing mama!  Hugs!  One of mine was this way too, but not quite as rough, and I doubt it's you as much as temperament, honestly. 

Can you possibly hire someone to help for just a few days so you can get a respite?  I know you'de likely need to be part time night parenting, but some stretches of sleep may equall deserved sanity. 

THinking of you. 

Chaiya8 likes this.
#15 of 17 Old 02-23-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much!! For some reason, I wasn't getting the notifications that so many had replied lately!

We are doing ok... after reading all the suggestions, I have realized he needs to night ween. We have a BIG family transition coming up in April, so I'm thinking that it will have to happen after our move, when we are settled - hopefully by May or June. And, honestly, just the knowledge that this solution is out there has made me feel so much better and given me more patience at night. I still get tired and frustrated, but not to the same extent, because now if feels more like a choice and less like a situation I'm trapped in. You all did that for me, and I'm so grateful!!!

In the meantime, we have been working on some changes at bed time. We converted his crib to a toddler bed which he LOVES and I've started working on falling asleep in it with him, as opposed to rocking him to sleep. He nurses on and off while we read stories in the rocker and then he has his binky and he lays down in his big boy bed and i sit next to him and sing him to sleep. He's been doing REALLY well with it and we've had almost no tears at all at bedtime since we've started. He still asks to rock every once in a while, and thats ok with me. But its a HUGE step for us and gives me lots of hope for the future...

If I could ask one more question from the Mamas above who have night weaned: how has it effected your milk supply? Do you feel like you're still providing enough during the day? Have you had to feed more solids and/or cows milk? Have you noticed any difference health-wise (as in, immunities you were passing along no longer being there?) I realize these are probably silly, naive questions, but my la leche league leaders arent getting back to me and these are the things sticking in my mind... Thank you so much!
junipermoon likes this.
#16 of 17 Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM

For my kids they became happier and had more energy. I really think the constant wakings were affecting them too. We are all happier!

I am so glad you are feeling better.

I didn't notice any supply difference. I think by this age milk supply is pretty well trained!
Chaiya8 likes this.
#17 of 17 Old 02-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Hi Chaiya8,
It's great to hear you are feeling hopeful and have already been able to make a few changes to make your days a little more comfortable. I can really relate to your situation. Like you I have a very supportive DH for this parenting style, however he is also unavailable to help at night.

I actually had the same concerns before I nightweaned. My milk supply has remained sufficient and I haven't needed to change anything diet wise. My son now nurses more during the day. He's 26 months now. After night weaning his day nursing increased an awful lot initially. He accepted night weaning really well thanks to the Sally book, but he did need extra umderstanding and patience during the day for the first while. My DS is quite a sensitive soul in general though. He did get 2 colds this year but i put that down to us socialising more and so many bugs going around this year here.

When I night weaned, I decided to allow 1 nurse on a chair beside our bed when he woke after 6 hrs (so 2am) and then I gradually increased that by an hour every couple of nights until it was phased out.

Best wishes
Springshowers and Chaiya8 like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page