6 year old crawls into our bed everynight, baby on the way - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI-

I am looking for help or suggestions from anyone who has a similar struggle.  My six year old has slept in his own bed for years and years.  He used to be in a bunk bed, but his brother has his own room now.  He is a very sensitive sleeper.  He will not fall asleep unless I stay with him.  He is terrified of the dark and likes to have  his room light on if I am not there, but he will just play and then when he does sleep, he seems to wake up when you turn the light off.  I am restless sleeper and pretty near every night I wake up and I just know he is going to come in the room any minute, and he always does.  We have king bed.  I just made a weighted blanket for him, but it doesn't seem to help much.  He will get in the middle of the night, turn all the lights on in the house an play too.  Anyways, I have until September to figure something out to make everyone happy.  He has night lights too, but that does not soothe him.  Normally we cosleep with babies but it is way to squishy in there with the 3 of us now.  I could do a side car with the baby, but I would prefer to just do normal cosleeping.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

#2 of 4 Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can you put a blanket on your floor for him to lay on when he comes into your room? That way he can be near you if he needs to at night without being in the bed and waking you up.

Does he have a nightlight in his room? It sounds like him having the big light on isn't working.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 4 Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
My 4 year old does the same thing and joins me in the middle of the night every day. I always wake up too.

Good luck sorting it out before the baby comes.
#4 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Here is how we got our six-year-old to stay in his own bed.  The original goal was to get him to come in less often, but by simply waiting until the hour numeral on his digital clock changed, he was able to get back to sleep on his own almost all the time.  The idea that the time alone trying to fall back asleep would not last forever was comforting to him.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page