Safety options for big bed in evenings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bedsharing mamas - what do you do for keeping your LO safe in the bed after they've gone to bed for the night, but you haven't? Bedrails? Pillows? 

My 5 month old daughter goes to bed around 730pm every night, but DH and I do not join her until around 1030pm. For now, she is not rolling much, she stays on her tummy once she finds her way there, and I use a video monitor to keep an eye on her. Our platform bed does not accommodate bed rails easily, I ordered a couple from KidCo and had to send them back.

Curious to hear what other families have landed on. Thanks! 

ETA: I place her in the center of our king size bed with no sheets, pillows, or blankets. 

Married my best friend 05.09.10, welcomed our darling daughter on 10.01.13!

08.12,  12.12, MTHFR Homo C677T diagnosis 01.13, DD born 10.13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Mattress on the floor
swede likes this.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 10 Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 AM

I put pillows on the edge of the bed. My kids have never been movers while sleeping though so it's not been an issue really.
swede and sarahl918 like this.

Kalista, happily married to my best friend , mama to 4 fabulous kids!
#4 of 10 Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. She isn't much of a roller when she sleeps so right now just keeping an eye on her. If and when she gets more mobile while sleeping, we may have to try the mattress on the floor. 

#5 of 10 Old 03-03-2014, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

For me its not on the floor because of sleep rolling.. its if they wake up, and are completely silent,and either crawl or roll off the bed. My dd rolled off our guest bed while we were all awake, I was in the room with my back turned, she was just playing on the bed. She was just under 6 months old. Somehow, even though it wasn't that high and she landed on carpet, she managed to fracture her skull. A few weeks later, once she learned to crawl, she did silently wake from her nap and crawl off the bed. That time she wasn't injured (but sure cried a lot!) and our ER visit was so fresh, I was SO freaked out and crying along with her, because in my head, she fractured her skull again, and we'd go back to the ER twice within a short time span for the same reason and they were going to report us for abuse! (no hospital visit needed for that one.. thank goodness) it freaked me out enough that I insisted dh take apart our bed and send the frame/box spring up to the attic! ds1 has managed to wriggle/inchworm his way off the bed, from the center of a king bed, when he was 2 months old. It was on the floor, so he wasn't hurt. That kid though.. he's always been crazy active. He gives me a run for my money!!

swede and sarahl918 like this.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 10 Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Wow LilStar, that is so scary! I'm so glad both your LOs were okay, a skull fracture my goodness. I am also afraid of her moving off the bed when awake, once she becomes mobile. She is very energetic and though she stays put when she wakes up now, I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out to be one of those babies who is ZOOM gone in a flash. She's been wanting to crawl since she was just a couple months old. For now she can roll both ways but seems to have temporarily forgotten what to do when she gets on her belly so she just kind of flails and whines to be flipped back over. My husband will not like the idea of taking our precious bed apart but if it is safer for her, no question that's what we will do.

#7 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 10:06 PM

We have our mattress on the floor, but I've heard of a bed rail product that goes under your fitted sheet -/ kind of like a pool noodle? I can't think of what it is called though...

Strawberry lover, dog-person, New Yorker. wool.gif (Who doesn't love a jump-roping sheep?)

#8 of 10 Old 04-28-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have a king size mattress that is pushed up to a corner wall in our bedroom with him next to the wall. When my guy was that age I also put pillows around the edge just incase he rolled over. Our mattress and boxspring are on the floor, so not too high. We live on the damp foggy coast and having a mattress directly on the floor = mold fast! 

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

#9 of 10 Old 05-20-2014, 02:53 PM

YIKES. My daughter crawled off the bed around that age, but didn't get hurt, fortunately. We have our mattresses on the floor now and I actually love it so much I might never go back! Something about sleeping that way is very soothing.

#10 of 10 Old 05-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupOfJoe View Post

We have our mattress on the floor, but I've heard of a bed rail product that goes under your fitted sheet -/ kind of like a pool noodle? I can't think of what it is called though...

We used pool noodles under the sheets for a bit, but one of my twins was very active and learned to scale them quickly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page