Co-sleeping with a "side car" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My boyfriend and I are registering for baby stuff which brought up the topic of co-sleeping. I've read a lot about the benefits and would really like to do it, but our bed is kinda small and we both tend to move around a lot. My boyfriend usually ends up in the middle of the bed which means I'm on the far edge.... so I'm not sure it's safe to add a tiny person to the mix. So plan B is putting a baby bed up against my side of the bed. I'm just not sure what my best option is. I don't really like the idea of a crib and having bars in the way and all, but I'm afraid something like this would be outgrown pretty quickly.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/arm-s-reach-mini-co-sleeper-bassinet/260783899.html?listingId=328721282&scid=pla_google_BabyAge&adid=18172&gclid=CJH_8Mipqr0CFaLm7AodU1cAyg

Any suggestions?

#2 of 8 Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
You could use bedrails. If you're concerned about your partner moving around you could sleep in the middle and have babe on the outside between you and the rail.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 8 Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 AM

I always have slept in the middle with baby/toddler on the side, with the bed up against a wall.  Then when bed space becomes an issue we side-carred a toddler bed.  Now we are back with a baby in the bed, me in the middle but baby on the side with a bumper on the edge. 

With our first baby, several friends offered to give us their old co-sleepers, but we have a futon and I don't think that they are compatible.  I have heard good things about them from friends who wanted to co-sleep but were a little frightened of the concept as well.

#4 of 8 Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 AM

I didn't want to buy a co-sleeper thing because they are expensive, and yes would be outgrown. I also knew I wanted to co-sleep for a long time. The best choice for us was taking a rail off the crib and sidecaring it to our bed. But baby insists on being closer to me than that, so me, my husband, and infant are sleeping in a full size bed and my butt sleeps in the crib sidecar lol. It's a little crowded. We are trying to figure out how to get a king size bed into our room.

#5 of 8 Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. :) We might add a crib and take the rail down. Thankfully we still have 8 months to decide for sure!

#6 of 8 Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We got a crib from ikea and put it together with only 3 sides, then pushed it up against my side of the bed. It is a full size crib that we can use as a toddler bed when he is ready for it. It works well for us. DS spends about half the night in his crib and half in with us. He's close enough for easy breastfeeding and safe from my DH's flailing.

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#7 of 8 Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-your-crib-into-cosleeper.html?m=1

we have 2 under 2 so we have one of these attached to each side of the bed. Love it!
#8 of 8 Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Might i add that we got both the cribs from Walmart for less than $100 each. Our bed sits up high and I felt like the ikea cribs didn't have high enough sides for our situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page