5 year old still in bed with us, new one due in may, have to switch sides - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-26-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hey there! so, this may seem like a strange question, but my husband brought it up to me last night and i understand where he's coming from. dd is 5. she still sleeps with us, we're fine with it and don't want her to move to her own bed until she's good and ready - but we have dd#2 due in may and she'll be in her cosleeper next to my side of the bed for a few months before winding up in bed with us (like dd#1 did) - what this means is that instead of sleeping on my side, next to me, dd#1 will have to switch to sleeping on the other side of the bed next to her daddy (she kicks the covers off in the night, so in the middle makes us all miserable, if she's on an edge, she can kick covers off herself without freezing the whole family). so last night dh asked me what other dads with little girls do about their, um... man parts. you know how in the mornings sometimes they get erections that they cannot control - right now he doesn't have to worry about it b/c dd is next to me. he can get up to pee and it goes away and he's fine and she's none the wiser - but he's absolutely terrified of IT being anywhere near her. he's bought some tighter undies to wear at night and thought of maybe wearing sleep pants too, but he's still worried about it.
how do the daddies handle this? or is it one of those things that you fear, but never actually happens/becomes an issue? maybe he's worrying about nothing?

okee, well thanks for any input you have on this

#2 of 4 Old 03-31-2014, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I dunno, anyone have any experience with this?
Bump
#3 of 4 Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 PM

I can ask DH but I don't think it was ever an issue. Thought that doesnt seem to be a common occurrence around here anyway. DH did always wear pajama pants when cosleeping with DD.

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#4 of 4 Old 05-03-2014, 06:35 PM

I don't have any advice on the issue your husband brought up...as a woman, I never even thought of that. Our oldest is a bit over 3 and boy, so this is an issue he himself understands...lol.  However, I did want to comment on the blanket issue and the need to switch sides.

Our DS sleeps in the middle and has hated blankets since birth - absolutely refuses one.  If we try to get sneaky and wait until he's asleep to place a blanket on him, he will kick like a mad-man until it's off.  Our solution is that DH and I each have our own blankets. DS has warm jammies if needed.

Just something to consider :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page