Mama of 6 mo needs sleep support - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been there. I understand how it feels to worry about the cycle. I thought my twins would never be independent. But they are extremely independent at 15 months old and pretty much sleeping through the night. It will happen! Have you tried nursing him to sleep, waiting until he is totally out (hold his arm up a little and see if it just flops back down), and putting him in the bed? We do that and it gives us evening time (most nights). Even an hour might help you feel better.

Also, sounds like your husband needs to be left at home with the baby and a messy house for a few hours and see if anything gets done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014, 03:43 PM

I have a six month old, too. I am a very social mum, love going to groups, connecting, etc. And I see the same thing every day. THEIR babies sleep for13 hours at night, not a peep. In their own room, in a cot.

We do co-sleep now, at first, DS didn't like it much and I had had two seizures, one before, one after birth, so he slept in his moses basket right next to me.

This changed, now we have transformed the 'nursery' in a HUUUGE family bed, basically three large mattresses wedged together and a I sewed sheets so that there would be no gaps. It is all bed.

I feed to sleep, I stay with him for the first hour or so and just enjoy reading a book, lying there and watching him sleep, then he stirs and I just gently pat his wee nappy bum and he never wakes up fully.

I do try and keep him up most of the day, just two naps now (in the bed, while I again, read a book, look at him, chat on my lap top, etc.

You CAN try and teach him some self soothing, but only for his comfort. With Ds1, I put his cuddly animal in my bra and gave him it to snuggle into and stroke it at every feed. The flat cat is still an important member of the family now that my big boy is 8.

He loved comfort item AND mama and I am planning to do the same with my wee baby soon. That will get him through sleep cycles, but probably no earlier than 9 months or so.

At six months, he will also now only trying solids, but mummy milk is still the most important thing for calories, so... he will be less wakey, he WILL sleep though cycles. And soon, maybe too soon

I am also the only mum in my village who breastfeeds. Accordingto the HV, who sees every child under five. It is isolating.

But you are doing GREAT!

Last edited by EineMutti; 06-21-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
I would suggest wearing him as much as you're comfortable with and going about your daily tasks. Talk to him about what you're doing if you want to but don't feel you have to maintain a continuous monologue.
I have just learned to 'ruck' in a DIY wrap from a dad on youtube, and this lets me do all my housework while DS peeks over my shoulder and breathes onto my neck.

User Tag List