How do I get my baby to sleep in a crib? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-26-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started over two years ago out pretty sold on cosleeping - my daughter would only sleep on my chest or in a sling from day one and I embraced it.

Well, for a while. But she nursed all night - waking up whenever I would take her off the breast - and squirmed so much a never got any sleep at all, and my husband has spent almost a year sleeping on a camping mat in the computer room because nobody sleeps when we tried to cram 3 people in our queen sized bed. (It seems big enough but it just does NOT work for us).

We had a nightmare of a time trying to get her to sleep in her own bed, and tried everything but CIO. We now have a 2 year old who needs hour-long stroller rides to fall asleep (she was always nursed to sleep when she was younger) and she still wakes up multiple times a night so we often find ourselves out walking with her in the middle of the night or she screams for hours.

Also, despite what breastfeeding advocates will say, she has tooth decay that began before she started eating solid foods - despite meticulous brushing - so I think the excessive night nursing ruined her front teeth and I feel so guilty that I did that to her.

We have a newborn and I do not want to make the same mistakes. I don't want to fall into the same habits.

I want to have him sleep in a crib next to our bed but I have no idea how to do that. every time I put him in there, he wakes up after 5 minutes or fewer. I have been cosleeping with him so far (2 weeks old) but I desperately want him in his own crib as soon as possible.

I know cosleeping is great in theory and it works for some families but it's not for us. I want to sleep with my husband again. I want our son to sleep in his crib next to our bed so I can nurse him and care for him throughout the night.

How on earth do you get a baby to sleep in a crib? I must have put him down 25 times last night before giving up and just lying down with him. I tried again at least as many times this morning for his nap before giving up and letting him sleep in the sling. I don't know what to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-26-2014, 05:55 PM

I had a baby girl who hated to sleep by herself, held her all the time for 6 months, even for sleeping but yup when it doesn't work anymore and no one is getting sleep it's rough. I recommend dr. Harvey Karp's happiest baby on the block book. My second baby I nursed to sleep when he was swaddled up tight with a sound machine going, this drastically improved sleeping time In a crib. All my babies would sleep longer when I held them but I wasn't comfortable with complete co-sleeping. With a sound machine and swaddle he slept pretty good Ina crib by our bed, I could get to him fast at night to nurse but he also got more used to sleeping alone so I had time to be with my toddler during the day.
EllaS likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 05-21-2014, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just a thought but it mite help if the crib smells like you, and what ever he sleeps in smells like you.
I found that if I layed on my DDs blanket while I nursed her to sleep, she stay sleep a little while (1-3 hours) but she was a few months old, and after she woke up she would stay in bed with me. I only put her in there so I could snuggle with DH for a bit.

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif
#4 of 4 Old 06-08-2014, 09:19 PM

I would suggest sidecarring her crib. For naps I either have to nurse my daughter to sleep or walk with her in the carrier for over an hour so I hear you on that end., but at night, because I have epilepsy it's not safe for me to keep her in bed with me totally. What I've found is that if I nurse her till she's totally floppy I can carefully put her in her cosleeper so long as I keep my hand on her chest with one of her arms under my hands too, then she'll fall back to sleep quickly from the movement so long as she was floppy and i don't wake her to much getting her into the cosleeper.I leave my hand there for 5 min or so and then just slowly pull it off. If she's not swaddled I will sometimes put both of her arms under my hand to keep her from startling herself awake. She's about 15 weeks and is nursing every 3 hours at night so long as she is asleep enough when I move her from the boob to her little bed, otherwise I have to try again, nurse till floppy, slowly transferring etc... For her 4 or 5 am nursing I will sometimes move her into the bed with me and nurse laying down and wind up nodding off with her-she definitely nurses much more frequently when she's directly in contact with me for those couple hours, bit in her cosleeper she goes the 3 hours--she's still right there but just far enough from the from the smell of milk to not want to snack nonstop. Good luck and I hope I can figure out how to keep mine from continuing to demand constant movement to nap as it sounds like your oldest still requires!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page