co-sleeping with EBF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Our daughter is 3 months (born 1/31/14). We side car the crib to make nursing easier on me. Things have been going well-she wakes about 3x during the night to feed around the same times-pretty consistently since birth. I don't mind because she goes back to sleep pretty quick. The issue now is that she falls asleep on me and as soon as I put her back on her side, she flails around and wakes up. Tried swaddling and she hates that or flails out of it. While I am getting sleep, my poor back is taking a beating. She also LOVES the arms (hates being worn despite trying a dozen different carriers). At over 9lbs she is getting too heavy to carry around on my shoulder, but that's a different issue.

Because she is EBF, I know I won't get long stretches of sleep for many months, but not sure how to deal with the sleeping on me issue. I worry she will get used to it!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 02:57 PM

When my DD was about that age she slept on me too for a moment until I realized she would stay asleep on her tummy. I know this is a big no-no, but it worked for her. She was also dealing with a growth spurt so it made her a little more restless than usual.

DD is now 21 mo still cosleeping and has managed to keep me on my toes with her sleeping habits. They tend to change regularly! Just when I think I have it figured out too.

Careful with your body carrying her w/o the assistance of a sling, wrap, or carrier. The heavier she gets the more strain you will have on your arms, back, etc. I got in the habit of holding her on my hip while I cooked and it resulted in some ligament damage in my elbow which made my wrist hurt. Thankfully I have an awesome chiro who fixed me right up... And we went back to using the wrap around the house.

Have you tried the K'Tan?

Sorry for the novel!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mine still really like climbing up on me at 14 months to sleep on me! It's really uncomfortable. So I usually roll over to my side and allow the baby to sleep in the crook of my arm, which typically works fine. Unfortunately, right after I got my new neck tattoo, the twin who is typically to my back kept climbing up onto my neck to sleep and it was really painful, so I kept having to move her back down, which she HATED.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! The latest is the past 2 days she wakes every hour! Once I put her down she starts flailing and grabbing her toes until she wakes and cries. She shouldn't be hungry... Now rising at 6am with cat naps all day. Please tell me this s a phase and will get better!

Good news is she likes being face out in carrier. I know-not the best for posture but I am desperate! Pediatrician suggested giving a full on feed (both sides) which should put her down for 4 hours. Only 2x has she slept that long. Also considering closing off the crib-but I'm worried she will still have sleep issues and now it will be harder on me.

User Tag List