sleeping habits between children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sleeping habits between children

Hello! I am wondering about how the sleeping habits differed between your kids and if you think there were some external factors that helped along the way?

My husband has been wanting another and I would like to have another kid but, to be honest, I'm terrified of having another "bad sleeper." My 11 month old has me close to tears every day trying to get her to go to sleep whether it be nap or at night. If I "wait till she gets tired," than she will not nap at all during the day --- and has been that way since about 6 months. Same with at night, she will just keep going until 1 or 2am and just get crankier and crankier but will never "fall asleep," our bedtime routine usually lasts about 2 hours.

I couldn't imagine doing this with two kids. I already get frustrated with her and sometimes lose my temper or start crying.... and that's just with ONE kid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like my kids are pretty similar sleepers and definitely on the not so great end of the scale. I am SOOO glad I waited to have my second until the first was at least sleeping fully through the night for a while. for us that meant that our boys are 3.5 years apart. If I had still been dealing with my older son's sleep issues while trying to handle a newborn and now 9 month old finicky napper/sleeper I would have gone insane. I always thought I wanted my kids closer in age but this is what worked best for us and I'm so glad I didn't rush in just to have the age gap I thought was ideal at the time.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's been really interesting watching my twins. As a sociological experiment, I'm fascinated by their small differences that appear to have no outside influences. From the very beginning, Roxy has always slept in longer stretches. And now at 16 months, she sleeps through the night effortlessly. Alice has been a bad sleeper since day one and still wakes up and cries pretty regularly. They've always both slept next to me. Alice still requires a late bottle after she's gone to sleep. Roxy can go 12 hours. Getting them to go to sleep is sort of the opposite. Roxy usually fights us, while Alice usually goes right to sleep on the first attempt. Anyway, I wish I knew of any outside factors. To an extent, I think they mostly come the way they come. At least that has been my experience.

I wonder if waiting a while to have another would be the right compromise for you? Until you feel your 11-month-old is more manageable?

User Tag List