• 2 Post By tracyamber
  • 2 Post By Asiago
  • 1 Post By mumm

#1 of 9 Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
The longest?

My ds son is 3 and we are still co-sleeping. Sometimes I feel worried we have been doing it for too long like will it affect him as an adult if he's all"yeah, I slept in my parents bed till I was 10" I dunno..
What is the longest anyone has co-slept with their children? And what are positives to doing it beyond toddler- hood?
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My oldest DD is only four so I don't have a healthy, well-adjusted adult to show you :-) I do feel that it is great to allow children to co-sleep until they are ready to make the transition if it is possible for the family. I also think that it will have positive affects on them as they grow up. It is part of nurturing your attachment and meeting their needs for closeness and security. You don't have to co-sleep to have a strong attachment of course, I just mean that I don't think it is harmful if they still want it.
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My oldest was 7 or 8 when she started sleeping in her own room all the time, the 5 yo is still in my bed. I started sleeping with my Mom after my Dad died, at 8 yo, because I had bad dreams...as far as I know I grew up to be pretty normal.

Humans really aren't hardwired to sleep alone, it's a new cultural practice in human history.
#4 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My brother co slept with my parents until he was about 5. He's a very well adjusted PhD in ecology/wildlife bio & teaches/researches at a leading East coast university. He also has a great sense of humor, is a runner & has his own microbrewery operation is his garage. Point is, he's a very smart, well adjusted grown up with diverse interests & hobbies. Not married yet, at 30, but I chalk that up to his career. (Vs co sleeping!). He has a great girlfriend who is in her 4th yr of vet school
#5 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Cool, i feel it's the right thing to do, we love it but when surrounded by so many "go with the norm people" I think I start to self doubt. It's good to keep ties here on mothering with like minded folks.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I remember climbing into bed with my parents at 5. I had to sneak in once they were sleep but absolutely loved it.
applejuice and Neonprincess like this.

Last edited by tracyamber; 07-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.
#6 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As a poster above wrote, we aren't really hard wired to sleep alone. It's true, after reading anthropological studies, there is nothing normal about humans sleeping alone. Children typically sleep with an adult for comfort and protection. Even if we no longer need the protection, it is instinct to seek it.
applejuice and Neonprincess like this.
#7 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 13 year old who still sleeps in my room. Not my bed, but my room. We've inconsistently tried to wean him to his own room through out those 13 years. His 3 younger siblings all moved to their own beds and rooms but he remains. He is starting to make noises about wanting to be able to sleep alone and I think by the end of summer he'll more consistently be in his own room.
applejuice likes this.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#8 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Humans really aren't hardwired to sleep alone, it's a new cultural practice in human history.[/QUOTE]

AMEN!

New doesnt always mean better. I think so much knowledge of and connection to the earth and its Creator has been lost with our "modern" practices.
#9 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My son co-slept till 5 and my girl is still going strong at almost 7.... I am not worried and know she will move on when she is ready...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page