Baby will only sleep while nursing!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baby will only sleep while nursing!!!

I have made several desperate sleep-related posts, and here I am again! Anyway, my DD is 13 months and we are finally night weaning. I feel I have no choice, since she nurses continuously, all night long, and I don't get even 2 consecutive hours of sleep all night. I have been sleeping in another room as my husband puts her to bed, and so far it has been going fairly well -- there is some crying, but he is there with her, and it doesn't go on for too long. So I'm feeling better about the nights. But my issue now is NAPS! I don't mind nursing her to sleep at all, but she will NOT let me detach myself from her and sneak away! I wait until she is very deep asleep, 20 or 30 mins after going down, and I very gingerly try to sneak away, and occasionally it works and I can sneak away, but she wakes up only about 45 minutes later, and then we have to go through this all again -- IF I'm lucky enough to be able to sneak away without waking her up. So I either get extremely resentful, since that means I have ZERO break, ZERO time to myself all day, or I feel horribly guilty because I refuse to lay underneath her for hours while she naps, and then she is not getting the sleep she needs. I am at the end of my rope. I don't know what to do. I feel so frustrated and angry. I am blaming myself for not imposing any kind of limits or sleep hygiene at all for her. I don't know what to do to get her to sleep without needing to nurse the whole time. Some people complain about their babies not sleeping through the night -- well, my baby won't even sleep through her nap! Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-21-2014, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I had THE SAME issue. So, when DD was this age, I just napped with her. I figured if I can't beat em....join em! But, that didn't solve the giant pile of laundry, or the fact that dinner wasn't started, etc. We also started her in a 1-2 day per week daycare/learning center around the same time& they were able to get her down, no problem. I was like wtf, bc I thought for sure there was no way she'd go down for them. I actually expected them to call me to come get her, which they never did!! But, I talked to the director about what they did to get her to go down so easily. They would give her a bottle, let her finish it & then put her down....simple enough. So, I just started doing the same. I told her, "ok mamas milk while we sing a song (two verses of you are my sunshine-this still continues to this day at 2.3 yrs old), and then we go night-night" and then put her down awake. She would sometimes fuss, but mostly she would talk to herself for a few minutes & then would be asleep. And then, the crazy thing was, she would nap for three hours- which still goes on to this day as well! It's like the nursing down was too much for her to get settled or something. Idk if it will work for you, but my DD is very high needs & has been from day one, so might be worth it. GL! XO

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page