Mothering Forum banner

introducing a newborn to the family bed

896 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Galatea 
#1 ·
I know that a lot of questions are posted about the logistics of this, but I haven't been able to find any advice on the nitty gritty.
I just brought my second baby girl home from the hospital last night. We have a family bed with our 2 year old. She's totally night weaned and very accepting of nighttime snuggles from both parents equally. However, i spent the night with the newborn in the guest room because I couldn't wrap my head around how to get through the night without disturbing the toddler. Newborns require lights on and diapers changed and don't necessarily go back to sleep right away. And they cry! How is this done? I miss my family and am so sad in the other room, but do I need to just get through the newborn hump before we can return?

#2 ·
We had a family bed right from the start with our 2.5yo and newborn.

Light - I had a very dim night light plugged into a powerboard on the floor on my side of the bed (mattress on the floor). It was enough light to change nappies etc but didn't disturb anyone else.

Crying - wasn't a huge issue for us. She'd mostly just stir and I'd feed her. If she did seem like she was going to wail I took her out of the bedroom but I only recall doing that once or twice. At night they really did mostly go back to sleep pretty quickly with feeding.

I'd give it a go. The worst that can happen is that you have one bad night and decide to sleep in the spare room for a while but I'm guessing it will all be fine :) Toddlers don't seem as disturbed by crying babies as we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.