Exhausted baby but fighting sleep - what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-25-2004, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently my 10 month old has been fighting all efforts for us to put him to sleep. He has always taken like 10 minutes to go down for naps, and then a little longer at night to go to sleep. Usually we rock him or dance/shake with him in our arms and I nurse, or at night I just lie down with him and nurse, and he goes right away. For the past several days he will take forever to go down for his naps, and then wake up after just 20 minutes, and he has been taking at least an hour to fall asleep at night time. He is so exhausted, and it is exhausting my husband and I (especially that he's weighing more now. . .) as well. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how we can help him fall asleep more easily/quickly?
Thanks so much!!
#2 of 3 Old 05-25-2004, 07:18 PM

I don't have an answer, but I wanted you to know you are not alone! My 6.5 month old usually sleeps through the night from 9pm to 6am, with a very brief (less than 5 mins) nursing session around 3 am. Last night, she fought like mad against going to sleep. At 11.30 pm we were still up with her, and once she fell asleep she wriggled and squirmed all night, waking up aver 1.5 hrs! Ugh! I was a wreck this morning She is on the verge of crawling, and it seems everytime she's about to "learn an new trick", she has trouble sleeping. It's as if she wants to keep practicing until she gets it! It really is funny when you think about it, but not when I am desperate for some shut eye myself! My DD is also teething, which may be a contributing factor. I am hoping she does better tonight, otherwise I will be looking for some answers here myself!! Good luck to you too!!

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
#3 of 3 Old 05-25-2004, 08:12 PM

I'm in the same tired and sometimes frustrating boat with you! My 1-year-old fights sleep like mad. After nursing at naptime it takes 10-20 minutes of holding for him to fall asleep, and at bedtime it takes about an hour. If I put him down before he is asleep (or almost there), he drags his tired body up and crawls around until he falls over from fatigue (which takes even longer than holding him does!).

I'm not sure if this will help in the long term, but lately I've been trying to avoid singing, rocking, coochie-cooing him to sleep. After he pulls off the breast, I just hold him. If he cries out I'll comfort him verbally, but otherwise it's just me or my husband holding him. I see my job as helping him relax his limbs/body, and his job is to fall sleep. I'm longing for the day he can understand my talk about laying down quietly, relaxing our muscles, and closing our eyes.

A little T I always thought that the phrase "sleep fighting" suggested a rather violent struggle, so I've been surprised at how gently Little P fights sleep. He has the eyes-wide-open-and-unblinking phase, which I love, because in the dim room it looks like his face is all eyes. Then there is phase where he starts to drifts off and then pulls himself together and looks around a bit to make sure nobody noticed. Then there is the dragging-the-eyelids-up phase, interspersed with eyes open, eyes shut, eyes open, eyes shut, eyes open, eyes shut. Eyes open. Eyes shut. Eyes open. Eyes shut. Eyes open.

Eyes shut.

Eyes open.

Eyes shut.

Eyes open.

Eyes shut.

Darn it, open again.

(repeat for 30 minutes)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page