How do you co-sleep in a hotel bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-27-2004, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are making an overnight trip to San Francisco this week and we have reserved a hotel room with a "double". At home we have a nice big king sized family bed, and we all like to spread out. DD is four months and starting to roll, so we have the co-sleeper up alongside my side of the bed (even though she never sleeps in it... ).

I'm not sure we'll all fit in this hotel bed! And it won't have rails or anything... how the heck are we going to make this work? Any advice?
#2 of 9 Old 06-27-2004, 04:01 PM

I assume that there's no way you can get a king size bed right? If that's the case, this is what we've done in the past:

Request that a cot be put in the room and have dh sleep in it. Then you and the baby sleep in the double. Keep your arms sort of circled around the baby and put pillows on the floor next to baby's side of bed. (I also put pillows up as a barrier along edge of bed, but I'm hyper vigilant at night so I am sure that the baby won't roll over and suffocate)

Good luck!
#3 of 9 Old 06-27-2004, 04:14 PM

We move the dresser out of the middle, slide both beds together against the wall.

We stay at hotels lots

If I'm alone w/2 kids, I put the older child on the outside and then line the chairs next to the bed w/quilts stuffed into them.
#4 of 9 Old 06-27-2004, 04:21 PM

We've had many hotel stays and this is what we do..

We usually try to get a room with two beds. My husband usually gets one of the beds and then I sleep on the other one with my two girls. We use whatever chairs are in the room as the rails.. back of the chairs facing the side of the beds. Usually there are two chairs and we line them up. My older DD sleeps on the side with the chairs as rails and I sleep on the other side to protect that side and youngest DD is in the middle cuz she's the roller.

Hope that helps....
#5 of 9 Old 06-27-2004, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColesMom
I assume that there's no way you can get a king size bed right?
Yeah, this room with the double was expensive enough... :

Thanks everyone! I guess we'll scope out the room and see what we can do. I hadn't even thought of moving the furniture around! Duh!
#6 of 9 Old 06-27-2004, 11:42 PM

your hotel might even have a crib you could ask for, then you could rig it as you do with the cosleeper at home.

in the past I've brought along our bed rail-ok if it's a car trip. I like the idea of moving the furniture around--but now that I think of it many of the hotels/motels we've been in lately have beds attached to the floor-or fastened to the headboard that's attached to the wall.
#7 of 9 Old 06-27-2004, 11:46 PM

IME with hotels they usually have 2 double beds. So me and DD would sleep in one, and DH in the other. Also, they often have spare beds or sofabeds. So if you can't upgrade to a king, or a 2 doubles room, at least get a spare for your DH and then you and your child can sleep in the double.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#8 of 9 Old 06-27-2004, 11:47 PM

LOL...we normally co-sleep on a full, so when we were in a hotel with a king size bed, it was NO problem at all! Moving down a bed size may be a problem though. Could you get a sleeping bag or something and just camp out on the floor? Not the best and most comfortable option, but it would be safe. We've had to do that sometimes as well...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#9 of 9 Old 06-29-2004, 12:35 AM

We have stayed in several hotels recently and DH sleeps in one of the double beds, DD and I sleep in the other. She is also 4 1/2 months and starting to roll- at home we use the cosleeper as a "rail" as well! At the hotels, I have been putting her in the middle and me on the edge, DH gets his own bed! Oh the days when hotels meant MORE romance

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page