Transition from co-sleeping.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-29-2004, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zoe is just shy of 8 months and we co-sleep most of the night. I nurse her to sleep and put her in her crib at first -- she sleeps there for about 2 - 2.5 hours and then comes to bed with us.

I don't like admitting this here, but I really don't love co-sleeping with her (it was much easier with Ean). She kicks me ALL NIGHT and pushes me to the very edge of our bed -- we've tried a varity of things, including an arm's reach sleeper, but she wants to sleep right up next to me. We continue to co-sleep because she seems to need it -- we tried transitioning her about 6 weeks ago and it was a disaster. We'd like to try again in another month or so and I was wondering if anyone had any hints. We're planning on doing it gently and giving up if she's obviously not ready.

I wish it weren't unsafe to have her sleep in the crib with the boppy!! I nurse her to sleep for naps -- she lays on the boppy in my lap and I transfer her and the boppy to the couch. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks and she has wonderful naps when she nesteled in the boppy -- she slept for 2.5 hours yesterday (a record for her)!! I feel OK about it because I'm always right nearby, but I woudn't put her in the crib that way. That just gives me a hint about how she likes to sleep. Any ideas on how to recreate this in a safe way?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-30-2004, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone help, or are you all just too horrified that I might want to use a crib?!?!? :LOL
#3 of 5 Old 06-30-2004, 10:42 AM

Quote:
has wonderful naps when she nesteled in the boppy
I used a pillow in the co-sleeper for 12 months until I gave up and just have him in bed with me. He slept better next to me......

BUT, He does NOT kick me all night. I could not sleep next to someone that kicks me all night, too. is all can give you.

I am sure someone else can give better advice.

Good Luck!
#4 of 5 Old 06-30-2004, 01:43 PM

how about a bigger bed? this may be a reason why she kicks you?

sorry, don't have much advice here, because we've never used a crib but 's to you and I hope you're able to cosleep until your baby is ready to leave the FB
#5 of 5 Old 06-30-2004, 06:06 PM

well, we're not experts on cribs, as we don't have one, but DS (14mo) just moved into his own bed in his own room. we were waking him and exciting him in the night and we find that he sleeps much better in his own room. he also is a major kicker. i was often at the very edge of a joined queen and twin "monster mattress" so i get where you're coming from.

a few ideas: have you thought of a pack and play, as it's smaller and more restrictive than a crib? it sounds like your dd likes small cozy spaces.

you might also want to try taking the sheet that you'll use in the crib and sleeping with it or putting it between the two of you when you nurse so that she has a familiar smell in the crib.

you might also want to try some sort of "lovey," a la NCSS -- a tiny blanket, animal, etc.

i don't really have more ideas, but i wanted to let you know that i know where you're coming from with co-sleeping not working as planned. i think being open to both your own needs and those of your daughter are really the most loving things you can do/be.

be well,
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page