LLL Meeting and my Spirited DS (xpost from Toddlers & spirited child thread) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-19-2004, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It drives me nuts. I have a very introverted DS who is also very spirited (although, he is starting to come out of his shell as his self-confidence continues to build)...

Anyway, I am a Leader Applicant for LLL. My meeting has three leaders, and one of them really drives me nuts.

Each meeting the discussion always turns to nightwaking and nursing. My ds has always been a difficult sleeper. He sleeps in our bed and nurses all night long, since birth. It is very slowly getting better, but I still never get more than three hour breaks at the very most.

Anyway, I have a reputation at LLL bc of this. I am always used as an example of an extreme case.

But today, the Leader who bugs me says "you made the choice to continue breastfeeding at night instead of nightweaning, which you could have done"

THIS BURNS ME UP!!! HOW DO I MAKE HER/THEM UNDERSTAND THAT I REALLY DON'T/DIDN'T HAVE A CHOICE? OR THAT MY CHOICE IS TO EITHER NURSE OR HAVE MY DS GO BALLISTIC ALL NIGHT LONG?

And she will also say things like, "it's your first; the second one is easier"

THIS IS SO INSULTING! LIKE I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING? IT'S TEMPERMENT, NOT MY PARENTING SKILLS!!! DR. SEARS DIDN'T BECOME THE AP GUY THAT HE IS TODAY UNTIL HALEY WAS BORN, AND SHE WAS HIS FOURTH CHILD!!! DO I HAVE NO CREDIBILITY AS A MOTHER?

sigh.... thanks for letting me rant.
#2 of 4 Old 07-20-2004, 08:07 PM

For some reason I'm shocked that a LLL leader is saying (or even thinking) these things. :
#3 of 4 Old 07-20-2004, 08:42 PM

I am shocked by that as well! Our leader starts every meeting out with; what works for your family is great for you! And she always makes a point to say that if it doesn't bother you, there's no problem with it!
Sorry to hear that she's picking on you. I wish I had some sort of wisdom to share....
#4 of 4 Old 07-21-2004, 09:33 PM

I too am surprised to hear this from a LLL leader. My first son nursed every 2 hours for 18 months at night. My choice was to nurse him or hear him cry. Sounds like she needs to re-read the womanly art of breastfeeding.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page