night wetting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-11-2004, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 4 yo boy who will be 5 in Otober. He is completely potty trained except at night. He still wears pull ups at night. For a long time he did not wet at night at all but then we moved to a new house and he started wetting again - I kind of expected something like that to be honest. Then about 4-5 months ago he started sleeping through the whole night in his own bed. He co-slept as a baby and when he got his "own bed" around 2 he started out there and then came to our bed when he woke up in the night. Now he sleeps through teh nighjt in his own bed with a pull up and every morning it is wet. The whole pull-ups at night thing is just very low on my priority scale. I really don't care if he wears them or not. I would rather him continue to be comfortable sleeping alone in his bed all night than to start making him think there is something wrong with wearing pull ups. We are getting ready for baby #3 any day now and we still 2 yo son in bed with us. We have a big bed - but not big enough for all 5 of us.

I am asking you all about this only to make sure that his age does not indictae a problem. Do you know at what age it is considered to be a "problem" with wetting? I overheard some women at his gym class talking about their sons his age and they were talking about some sensor machine that they hook up to the child before bed and when they start to wet it sets off an alarm to wake up the child. ??? Ever heard of this? Does that really seem necessary at 4? I guess my main concern would be making sure he does not at any point feel like there is anything wrong with him.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-12-2004, 02:30 AM

My brother had a problem with wetting the bed until he was 7. My mom was really concerned but there was nothing the matter. He was a really heavy sleeper & slept through it. They limited his drinks at night time to. He doesn't wet the bed anymore - and just grew out of it & knows he can't drink a lot before bed. i am not sure if this helps ) but I have heard of it a lot!
#3 of 5 Old 08-12-2004, 02:48 AM

Both my kids were wet at night until they were over 5. Doctor said this was no problem and didnt even want to do anything about it unless they were still wet at age 6. He said that some kids take a long time to secrete the hormone that stops urine production at night, and that this was normal and often runs in families.

I remember by brother being wet at night and having to wake from sound sleep to have the bed changed.

Sure makes you greatful for Pull-ups. My dd's would have been miserable without them.
#4 of 5 Old 08-12-2004, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!
#5 of 5 Old 08-14-2004, 01:07 AM

My six year old daughter still wears pullups to bed. She has potty trained during the day since she was 2 but never has been at night. Our doctor says that some kids take longer. I read that some bodies don't mature fast enough for the body to "slow" down and not urinate as much. My daughter can still be a VERY heavy wetter. Stopping liquids in the afternoon makes NO difference!!! If one or both parents were bed wetters, your child will have a much larger chance of having this also...up to 50% if one parent was and closer to 100% chance if it was both. My hubby was a bed wetter until he was 8 or 9 and he said that when his body was ready it stopped! My daughter is an incredibly heavy sleeper...we can turn on the lights and talk normal and laugh, or lift her up and she will NOT wake up or move! INCREDIBLE! We aren't worried about it although sometimes it bothers her...when her body is ready, it will happen. Follow your heart...if you are concerned, discuss it with your pediatrician (there is a drug that they can give kids that will dry them up...but side effects are dry mouth, etc).

Create a beautiful day!

Barrie MacLauchlin
Personal Mentor during the day
Mommie at night!
Reid, hubby of 9.75 years
Kelli, 6 years old

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page