4 yo. is keeping himself awake at night talking, and talking, and talking... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2004, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our routine is to have bath, snack, brush teeth, go potty, and read together. Then Dh or I will take Ds into his room and either lay next to him or rock him. We know he likes to talk to us, so we spend about 10 minutes talking about our day, and planning for our next day, and then he is supposed to choose 2 songs that we will sing together... after the 2nd song, he is *supposed* to be quiet and we stay and rub his back and sing softly to him until he falls asleep. It used to feel like a pretty nice routine and we all enjoyed it.

But the past few weeks, he hasn't been able to STOP TALKING when he is supposed to, and he doesn't fall asleep because he is babbling and babbling and babbling away.... I get very frustrated trying to get him to stop talking. As soon as he finally does pipe down, then he goes directly to sleep. I mean -- in less than 5 minutes. So I don't think he capable of falling asleep until he is quiet.

I don't know how to fix this. Part of me is wondering if he is needing to be alone when he falls asleep. But whenever we try leaving the room he just pops up and follows us out. He really doesn't *want* to be alone. I don't know what to do for him.

He is eating plenty of healthy food, exersizing a LOT, and gets tons of time to talk to us all day long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2004, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did this when I was little. Heck, I still do it at times. For me, I need to get the things that are on my mind out. I talk about whatever I'm thinking abour, then my head feels clear and I can sleep.

Have you tried asking him (during waking hours) why he needs to talk so much at bedtime?

User Tag List