Already dropping his nap? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-26-2004, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I've cross-posted this with the Toddlers Forum, but I'm curious to hear what mamas have to say here as well. My DS is 26 months old and for the past week has been seriously fighting his naps. Today it took me at least 30 minutes to get him to sleep (with our usual routine of nursing/walking combo). He SEEMED very sleepy, hence my persistence today. And actually, he often seems tired and in need of a nap. Once asleep, he often sleeps 1.5 to 2 hours, so I guess he is tired. Maybe I'm missing my window - putting him to sleep either too early or too late? This week, he has been going to sleep around 2pm or later. He ususally doesn't go to bed until 9pm or later. Could he be ready to drop his nap altogether already? Any personal experience from other parents would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
#2 of 5 Old 08-26-2004, 11:22 PM

26 months doesn't seem to early to me, but my kids were not big sleepers.

DS started dropping her nap around 13 months (wow, I FOUGHT that for a long time!) and DS closer to 20 months. DD was never napping by 19-20 months and DS, while he very rarely takes a nap now was pretty much done around 25 months.

HTH,
Kay

#3 of 5 Old 08-27-2004, 12:40 AM

My oldest stopped naps shortly after turning two. My now 26 month old stopped naps about a month ago.
#4 of 5 Old 08-27-2004, 02:11 AM

My oldest and youngest both stopped napping around 15months. My middle dd was forced into stopping due to my oldest's school pick up times. She was closer to 20months. The younger 2(aged 3 & 2) will fall asleep some days. With the 2 year old if she falls asleep past 4pm I have a very hard time getting her to bed at 8. With the 3 year old she can fall asleep at 6 and still go to bed at 8. The 3 year old also has a heart defect, she tires alot easier and needs more sleep than her sisters.
#5 of 5 Old 08-27-2004, 04:09 PM

My DD stopped napping somewhere between 2 and 2 1/2. It was pretty gradual. For a while, she would be every other day. On the days she napped, she would go to bed late and sleep later the next day and therefore not need a nap that day. But she would go to bed earlier, wake up early, and need a nap again.

Now she is 3, and if she does nap any time after 12 she will be up until at LEAST 10 if not much later. I prefer the no nap and a guarantee to be asleep at 8.

If it is a struggle to get him to sleep, I think he probably doesn't need it. Maybe try a quiet time instead, with stories or time alone, etc. and see if that works.

HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page