Car bed or Bunk Bed as a way of transitioning out of the family bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds will be 2 next month and we have one on the way in early Sept. We finally night weaned, which was easier than I though and heaven! Anyway, now we'd like to slowly get him out of our bed. What would be a better incentive, a blue bed shaped like a car (that I can get from a friend) or a bunk bed, so that I can still sleep in the same room, when needed. I heard kids love bunk beds. What has worked for you in this whole transition. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 12:41 PM

What worked best for us was just to have a toddler bed right beside ours in our bedroom so that I could drape my arm over the edge and hold her hand on rough nights. We also had a big bed in her bedroom and when she was ready she moved to it on her own at about 3 1/2 years old. I encouraged her by asking her where she wanted to sleep and then singing her to sleep in her big bed and letting her come back to her little bed when she wanted to during the night. Each night she stayed in her big bed longer until she was going back to sleep in her big bed after waking up at night to go potty.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:09 PM

What worked for us was taking our son to Babies R Us and letting him pick out his bed. We chose a couple different styles and let him do the rest. He really wanted a fire truck bed but they didn't have one. So we wound up with a solid oak toddler bed w/the short rails for $79. We did the same thing w/his matress, $39. Then when Auntie came to town we went to the fabric store and he picked out fire truck material for his comforter and Dalmation doggy fabric for his little pillow. $20. Too darn cute and affordable. And the balnket will last a lifetime. The oak bed gives us the opportunity to change themes w/o changing the bed. And it's all his creation
Old 02-01-2005, 07:35 PM

I like Vito's Mommy's suggestion. That way he will be excited about the new bed. I wouldn't recommend a bunk bed for a two year old though unless the ladder is removed so he can't climb to the top when you aren't around. My son has a loft bed, but he sleeps on a mattress below. We put glow in the dark stars on the bottom of the loft and on the walls so he can look at something fun.

User Tag List